Thursday, August 18, 2011

StyleArc - Terry Tie Cardi

More pics

To be honest, I bought this pattern against my better judgement. It was in my first order from Style Arc, so I've felt guilty as it languished. I just loved the design, but I was not sure that the style would work on me. And yet, now that it's finished, I think it does. At least I hope so. :)

This cardigan has shoulder tucks and ties to close the front. As designed, the ties are sewn into vertical darts. I changed this detail a bit.

Materials:

  • Organic bamboo double-knit in slate blue. 98% bamboo, 2% lycra. As of this writing, they have 46 yards remaining. One side is a small rib and the other is smooth. It is a double fabric - you can actually separate the two fabrics. It is very soft and I machine washed and dried it. It came from the dryer a little worse for wear. I think that this fabric might pill over time, so it might last longer if it's not machine dried. The following pic shows the ribbed side, but I used the smooth side for the cardi, which seemed a bit less distressed. I would almost describe this fabric as a fine sweatering.
  • Black tricot knit interfacing to reinforce the back neck and the two buttonholes.

Alterations and modifications:

  • I started with the size 16. As usual for a size 16 Style Arc pattern, I added a 3" y-shaped FBA. However, this time I did a "normal" FBA, where the fullness extended to the front hem. I did this because I suspected I might need the fullness for the tied front, as my waist is much larger than a size 16 indicates. I think this was the correct decision. I rotated the dart fullness to the shoulder, where it translated into additional tucks.
  • I didn't mark the location of the ties when I cut out the cardigan. I knew that if I used the ties, I wouldn't place them where the pattern indicated. Once I had the garment on the body, I decided I liked the fullness gathered at navel height. But I didn't want to use the ties. I liked how it looked when I secured the fullness with a safety pin. When I was talking to Chloe (about something else), I mentioned that I had to figure out another way to secure the draping, and she suggested inserting the tie between two buttonholes. I loved this elegant but simple solution. I put the garment on and marked where I wanted the buttonholes. I reinforced the area with fusible tricot.
  • I widened the upper sleeve 1" (1/2" on each side) and tapered that to nothing.
  • For the tie, I wanted a thin tie. I cut over 3 yards of fabric from the selvedge. It was approx 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" wide (I didn't measure it.) I sewed 1/4" from the fold for the entire length. I didn't trim the 3/8" raw edges so when I turned the tube inside out, the tube was slightly "stuffed." I trimmed the ends to clean them up and tied them into a knot.
  • I didn't hem this, but I might need to if the fabric starts separating on me. To be honest, I used this fabric because I didn't mind if the project was a wadder. Now I want to make it up in some favorite fabrics.

Conclusion

I love this top! It is more flattering than I expected. The gathers at the waist detract from the bust and also detract from the belly. I love the shoulder tucks. I plan to make this again, maybe even several more. :)

Pictures

30 comments:

  1. I think it looks great!! Neat pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! It does really suit you and I like what you did with the tie. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I've been admiring the progress of your autumn 6pack! This is a great addition to the mix. I can't wait to see how you mix and match up these fabulous garments together... and thank you for the thumbs up for my dog! maybe she will make another appearance soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it. I really should try one of Style Arc patterns. I am seeing so many sewn up recently. Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just love all the Style Arc pieces you've made--they should send you a free pattern or two for all the good work you've done bringing them to our attention!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice, great vertical lines.

    ReplyDelete
  7. shams, it is so beautiful.
    You are so good at decision-making along the way.
    And it's very flattering.
    Robin (alittlesewing)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very flattering - and the details really separate from all the other 'drapey' cardis out there.

    Hmmm... both Canada and Australia are Commonwealth countries - I wonder if that would reduce the shipping costs of the patterns? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's lovely and really suits you. I live your adjusted tie option that works really well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It definitely works on you--very graceful and Japonesque.

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks great on you, style and color. I like the shoulder tucks. Looks to me that you could convert this with a different fabric to a blouse pattern as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty! I like the shoulder tucks - nice detail.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've done a wonderful job. I think your alterations improved the design.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is absolutely stunning Style Arc should use these photographs of you to market this pattern. Yours looks much better than the pattern envelope and line drawings indicate. I must have one! Fabulous color (are you the one who doesn't really care for blue?), great styling, and you look terrific.

    Linda in TN

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks wonderful on you! That fabric really works well for this design.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the shoulder tucks. I think this would look good on most of us. BTW, I am knitting a cardi with bamboo yarn. I wrapped it around a paper towel and wet it to find it is not colorfast. You might want to take a scrap and wash it a few times to see if it fades. That is too pretty a color to wash out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it looks great on you. Very flattering. What made you decide not to use the front ties as designed? I had a close look at the pattern pics and it looks as though maybe the make the top pull a bit across the bust line. They are wider than what you finished with as well. I think yours are really flattering and when I make this I will copy your idea. I'm really short with not much room between bust and waist. A wide tie on me would NOT look good there! Thank for the pics and ideas. Great work as always.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous! What a great idea - using buttonholes to secure the tie. I need to file that away for future reference. It's definitely a WINNER for you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That top is really nice. I'm liking your back yard, too! Is that a crepe myrtle tree behind your right shoulder?

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so lovely on you, elegant and drapey, and the thin ties in the buttonholes are brilliant. I did laugh when I read "I bought this pattern against my better judgement". I think I do this because every so often my better judgement is wrong. I hope you won't be offended if I say that you have just given your better judgement a beating!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love it.It looks beautiful,carefree and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this top on you -- very flattering style!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Seriously, you should make more! This is very flattering on you. BTW, I can't believe how many of your 6pac pieces you've made...and I haven't made any yet! And I love how you are not only linking to FM's site but telling how many yards are left!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jacket looks great. I love tie front anything.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks beautiful on you, so much nicer than the drawing. I am so enjoying your Style Arc reviews. I am still looking forward to my first patterns arriving. Your wardrobe is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think this looks great on you! Thanks so much for the review on this fabric too...I was just purchasing some fabric from Fabric Mart when I noticed this Organic Bamboo. It's beautiful they you've made it, but I'm not sure it's for me. Thanks for your great review.

    Thanks for your kind remarks on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks really fabulous. Love the simple lines and the subtle gathering at the front.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very pretty style, fit and a great color... Definitely NOT a wadder!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am so loving this style on you. Looks terrific. Definitely a candidate for versions in other fabrics.

    ReplyDelete