Sunday, November 27, 2011

Seam Allowance Ruler and Tablecloth Skirt Gallery

Here's a clever new tool! A woman named Claire Tharp had the idea of a french curve designed for adding seam allowances. It comes in two widths - 3/8" and 5/8". I have both widths and these rulers are very easy to use. Discounts are available if you are a member of ASG, Pattern Review, etc. The pricing and discounts are explained on her blog, SA Curve Ruler. There is also a video demonstration. Claire's Etsy site is ctharp1.

These rulers would fit perfectly into a Christmas stocking! ;) (And, no, I get nothing for this plug; mine were purchased and I think they are a useful product.)

I am currently working on a top that has no seam allowances included in the pattern so I am actually road testing the rulers.

Tablecloth Skirt Gallery

The pictures have been flooding in from folks who are making the Tablecloth Skirt. You guys are fast!

I am having fun seeing all of these versions of the skirt. If you look at the top of my blog, there is a permanent link to the Tablecloth Skirt Gallery. Drop me a line (email is in my profile) if you'd like me to include a photo your skirt! I also include a link to your blog, pattern review, or picture set, if you have something along those lines.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for alerting me to these cool tools. I love tools! I ordered a set today,a nd am anxious to give them a test run.

    Happy sewing!
    Maris Olsen
    http://sewmaris.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much easier to just screw a seam guide onto your rotary cutter. No measuring, not even eyeballing, instant use everywhere without looking for a matching curve..

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one option, Marie-Christine. However, I tend to change direction often when using my rotary cutter, so the seam guide ends up on the wrong side. And, actually, I don't use my rotary cutter to cut all that much. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rulers are a great idea. Thanks for the tip. I always trace my patterns and redraft them in the process, so these might come in handy. When cutting, I always use a rotary cutter, but I think a seam guide gadget on it would be a pain. Maybe I'm wrong...
    The tablecloth skirt gallery is fun. I still like yours the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ordered my rulers and they arrived quickly. I haven't used them as of yet but I do plan to use them this weekend when I alter one of my patterns. Thanks for alerting me to them.

    ReplyDelete