Sunday, July 1, 2012

Scrap Busting with Travel Accessories


Some of Barbara de Jounge's work

What follows is a parental moment. Feel free to skip to the sewing content of this post.

Let me talk for a minute about younger daughter, or DD2, as I often refer to her on this blog. She is 17 and about to enter her senior year of high school. This kid, who marches to her own drummer, decided sometime around January, that she had a burning need to learn Swedish. No, there is no Swedish ancestry anywhere in either family tree. It just came out of nowhere. (For the record, both her parents are monolingual, as was she.)

She covered her bedroom with yellow stickies, labeling everything in Swedish. She downloaded the Pimsleur Swedish language course to her iPhone and practiced every day - she contacted the Pimsleur people to ask if they planned to add more advanced courses, such as they have for Spanish and Italian. (She tells me that Pimsleur is much better than Rosetta Stone or other language courses she looked into.)

She converted her computer and iPhone to Swedish. She found some Swedes online to Skype with. She read books in Swedish and watched Swedish news and television programming via the Internet. Much to my surprise, she found a Swedish preschool near my home (I didn't believe, at first, that there was a Swedish preschool near my home and I've lived here over 20 years) and she started volunteering twice a week, speaking in Swedish with the toddlers, their parents, and the teacher. She began working for several families as a babysitter, house cleaner, and errand runner, in Swedish.

She learned to speak Swedish in three months and cheerfully informed me that it's much easier to learn a language once you start thinking in it.

Okay...

She then decided that she had to go to Sweden this summer. Her father donated some frequent flyer miles, and she used her savings, plus her babysitting/house cleaning money, to pay for her trip. She found a program to attend in Sweden, but also plans to do some couch surfing, some with a college friend of mine who lives near Stockholm, and also with some of the folks she has been working for here in the states who summer in Sweden.

Yes, she is going by herself.

I decided to make her a few items for her trip.

I had large chunks of sweater knit scraps left over from this Sandra Betzina sweater jacket, that I used for several of these projects.


First, I realized she could use a sleep mask. She wants to sleep on the 14-hour plane flight and can't sleep when it's light. I found this free Prudent Baby Sleep Mask pattern. I made a couple, using a rayon batik scrap from FabMo, as well as some scraps in my own stash. I have enough scraps to make 5000 sleep masks. :)


Scrap of rayon batik from FabMo


The bottom mask uses the FabMo rayon batik. The top mask uses scraps from a jacket that I finished several weeks ago and have yet to blog about.

This sleep mask is reversible. It uses 2 fabrics for the front and back, fusible fleece for each side, and two pieces of 13" elastic. Easy peasy, it takes only minutes to sew.


The flip side of the sleep masks. Sweater knit on the top, and a stretch woven on the bottom that I have used to make at least three pairs of pants.

Next, I decided she needs a u-shaped neck pillow for the flight. Rather than figure it out on my own, I bought a PDF pattern from urbansparrow. This nice little pattern includes a loop at center back (I used a piece of rayon grosgrain ribbon) so you can attach the pillow to a rolling suitcase, for example, with a caribiner - a nice little touch. This also uses the sweater knit.



I used Silky Soft polyfill stuffing and stuffed the legs of the U more tightly that the back.

I then made her a zippered pouch for makeup (or whatever) out of FabMo fabrics. It's a bit thick, so I may make her another one out of lighter weight fabrics.


It's been raining quite a bit in Sweden this summer and the weather has been on the cool side, so she wanted to take a warm scarf. I used an 18" by 44" piece of the same sweater knit to make a Koos infinity scarf, with one twist. I really like this scarf out of the sweater knit and need to make one or two for myself.



The weather in San Francisco recently has been typical "summer in San Francisco weather". Meaning it has been in the 50s and 60s, at least in my part of town, and the fog has been so thick that you almost need an umbrella, particularly when walking under trees and a gust of wind causes large droplets to pelt you. You do need to use the windshield wipers when driving. I love it.


My backyard this afternoon, wet from the fog.

However, this morning, while standing in line at JoAnn's waiting to buy polyfill stuffing, I heard folks complaining about the weather. I had to wonder what they were hankering for: wildfires, floods, or 106° F heat. Wherever you are, I hope you are comfortable and safe.

Barbara de Jounge - RIP


Last week I was saddened to learn of the death of one of my favorite lagenlook designers. Barbara de Jounge was a designer I truly admired. She was especially well known for her creative sweaters, often closed with her trademark giant safety pins, her interesting use of wool felt, and her clever jewelry from unusual materials.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the necklace she is wearing in her photo might be made from those little plastic sizing tags used on hangars at some department stores...

The photo at the top of this post is from her website. In addition to her amazing creativity, she was elegant, stunning, and incredibly gracious. She was always one of my favorite designers at Artistry In Fashion and, last year, I bought a sweater from her, as did Margy.


I am sorry I don't own more of her work.

You can learn more about her life from her obituary. She will be missed.

56 comments:

  1. I think there is/ was a Swedenborgian church in SF. I actually don't know if it is Swedish or not. I actually looked into getting married there long ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a Swedenborgian church in Pacific Heights, Eileen, and it's lovely and a national landmark. I have been there on several occasions. But visiting the church is about equivalent to visiting an H&M store or an Ikea, as far as a Swedish experience goes. ;)

      Delete
  2. Don't worry - we Scandinavians are very friendly. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, Anne! I'm not worried - all the Swedish folks I know are completely lovely. :)

      Delete
    2. By the way, Anne, any fabric stores in Stockholm I can send her to? Maybe she can bring me home some lovely yardage...

      Delete
  3. That's such a fabulous story, DD2 has certainly immersed herself in everything Swedish, and I have to say I have a fondness for Sweden too (although my study was to source where all the great fabric stores are in Stockholm & Goteborg). 3 months is very impressive to learn such fluency, she sounds like quite an achiever and your travel gifts are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And who doesn't love those cute Swedish gnomes? ;)

      Delete
  4. Wow. Colour me impressed with your daughter. Three months to learn a language. Wow. I have never had any interest in learning Swedish and my grandfather was born in Sweden. The closest I come to a second language is the ability to understand a drunk Glaswegian (no easy task I assure you).

    Those are some great travel accessories for your daughter. I love the sleep mask, I only have a cheesy ugly thing that came with an equally cheesy gift basket. I have one suggestion, there is a product called "No Jet Lag" and it works really well. Here is a link. You can get it at health food stores.

    http://www.nojetlag.com/

    Sorry to hear about the passing of a great designer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look into that product. Thanks, Elle!

      Delete
  5. WOW...for BOTH DD2 and you! She is simply amazing...with that kind of focus and determination, you don't have to worry (too much) about her future! And those gifties are so charming...it will be like having Mom's arms around her when she is far away...

    I echo your admiration and sadness about BDJ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should say that, Margy. I had that exact same thought. When this kid was little and would go away with dad's family on vacation, she often would ask for a piece of my clothing to take along for snuggling.

      Delete
  6. I'm extremely impressed with your DD's dedication and determination to accomplish her goal and in 3 months! Amazing. I hope she has all wonderful experiences on her trip. Your travel gifts are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! I hope they all work out.

      Delete
  7. I haven't even met DD2, and yet I'm bursting with grins and pride! (is that weird?) Maybe it's the 1/2 Scandahoovian in me? (Norwegian, not Swedish, though)

    I love the scarf you made too. Actually, every item should be a hit with the traveler - lucky her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jilly Be! I think I will re-make the scarf and the pillow to keep.

      Delete
  8. I, for one, would love to be in San Francisco right about now. It's hot and windy in Albuquerque and I can't remember the last time it rained. Although it's comfortable in the evenings the heat is getting old fast. Oh well, November will come eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry it's sweltering, Nancy! I can't sew in the heat.

      Delete
  9. Those travelling items are genius - I wish I had thought to make such things from my scraps before going away! I'll have to do so for next time. It's just incredible what you can do when you put your mind to it! I hope she loves the trip :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, poppykettle! I made a thimble-sized dent in my scrap pile. :)

      Delete
  10. My dd spent the first bit of her 'gap' year between school and university living with Swedish friends of mine. She went to school every day with Olof and helped him in his music classes and also in the English department. She had a wonderful time. I can't think of a nicer country to visit.

    DD has just set off for the second part of her 'sandwich ' year of university. First 9 months in Italy for Italian improvement....now she's doing 7 countries in 10 weeks in Central America. You have to learn not to worry, but I think it's easier when they're in Sweden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, purpleivy! It sounds like your DD is having a wonderful adventure!

      Delete
  11. PS, Been reading your blog for some time and love seeing all the tops you make.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an impressive young lady! I am sure the thoughtful travel accessories have an inbuilt maternal protection aura, but with that sort of goal setting and work ethic she sounds as if she will look after herself very well.
    (My eldest daughter just turned 17 and I must admit on reading your post that I am just the teensiest bit glad that she is a real homebody;) and has not expressed a sudden desire to visit another country in her school holidays) Parenting is a very scary job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, watch out, kbenco! My eldest would never have done this. This sort of adventure is much more commonly seen in younger children. ;)

      Delete
  13. Your daughter's focus is astounding. Are you sure she doesn't have some unstated ulterior purpose (boyfriend)?

    Your travel accessories are terrific. Maybe she will remember you once and a while. I should make a few masks to replace our tacky ones.

    Also very sad about the loss of Barbara de Jounge. I enjoyed chatting with her at the Artistry in Fashion show while I tried on and bought things although it has been a few years since I have been able to go. I think I can go this year but what a loss it will be for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, you are postulating a scary suggestion! I don't *think* so. But I'd be very wary of claiming anything for certain. ;)

      It *has* been a few years, since I have not (yet) seen you at AIF. Maybe this year! :)

      Delete
  14. You are the best mom! As for your daughter's trip, this is a fantstic opportunity for her. First, she worked hard to achieve it, but once she is there, she will have experiences that will be with her for the rest of her life. All of my exchange students felt that their year in the US forever changed them, for the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rhonda, I think this sort of experience is very maturing.

      Delete
  15. What an incredible experience this will be for your daughter! Very impressive drive and determination. My DD is a year younger, so I know what a challenge it is to let them go. And what a sweet mom you are to make her such nice traveling gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea, I think I need to sew some of these for me. ;)

      Delete
  16. My just-turned-18 son has spent the last year learning Pimsleur Dutch (then moved on to other Dutch courses.) He wants to study in Amsterdam at some point. We have family in the Netherlands, but it's been fun watching him claim his heritage this way.

    Your daughter is VERY cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Anon, your son and my daughter have similar interests!

      Delete
  17. I hope your daughter has a great time! It's a big adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karin. It's bigger than anything I tried at that age. :)

      Delete
  18. Good for her! From the safe distance of Australia I find Americans very monocultural and monolingual. Yes I watch too much American tv and am grossly stereotyping. I'd be proud that your dd can watch The Girl with Dragon Tattoo in the original!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, Gail. Are Australians polylingual, as a rule?

      Delete
  19. I own one of Barbara's jacket which I purchased just last year at the Bead Show in Pasadena. I have admired her garments for years. Her style was so unique and fun. She will be missed. Your daughters trip sounds great. My DH family has relatives in Sweden- I've never been there. They visit here - alot! Who wouldn't- its California :-)! They tell me they don't eat lutefisk (I don't believe them) but Ikea is one of my favorite stores - fortunately for me, there is not one that is close ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lutefisk. It sounds like an acquired taste. ;)

      I'm glad you have at least one of Barbara's jackets. On her website today I see her assistant will be carrying on some of her designs.

      Delete
  20. DD2 sounds like a wonderful person! Just shows you what determination and dedication can do, huh? You are a good mom, Shams, to encourage to mature and grow out of the nest. Your travel gifts will be a link to home for her.

    Sorry to hear about BdJ. Her creations were fabulous! Quirky, fun, and yet ultimately wearable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louisa. You have described BdJ to a T.

      Delete
  21. Thank you for sharing your 'parental moment'!!! Amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an impressive young woman! Anyone with that sort of determination will go far. You did a great job, Mom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those are all nice pieces for your daughter. Sending her off with some mom love. Best wishes to her for a safe and happy trip.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So, does DD2 have a fascination with the Dragon Tattoo series? Just wondering. I admire her desire to immerse herself in another country and language. And I admire you for making these wonderful travel accessories for her!
    Sad to hear of Barbara's passing. She certainly was an artist in fashion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Dixie! No, she's never been enamored of that series. It's a bit violent for her.

      Yes, Barbara was special. She died the same day as Nora Ephron, another woman I admired.

      Delete
  25. My goodness; way to go, daughter the younger!! She must have inherited the can-do attitude of her mother ;) Highly admirable.
    I hadn't heard of Barbara before, thank you for introducing me to her some of her lovely work. I can see how inspiring she must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm very impressed by DD2! I don't think my daughter would do the same, but then she is the oldest.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey, Kathy! You are one of the few people who've actually met this nutty kid. :) And your daughter is entirely awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just how clever is that daughter of yours!!!! Like Mother, like Daughter???? Thanks for your email - yes, I am still alive and kicking. Winter Down Under at the moment, and I think one of your scarves will be perfect for me to whip up - a small, quick, painless project to get me going again....

    ReplyDelete
  29. Glow with pride Shams - you obviously did a great job raising such a well adjusted and focused daughter. I am sure she will have a great time in Sweden and will come home with lots of fabulous stories (and fluent in the language too!)
    Your travel goodies are going to be very welcome too. You reminded me about the scarf - must dig out that Threads issue.
    You introduced me to Barbaras work so I am a little sad that I wont get to see much more of it. I was very sad about Nora Ephron too - I have read several of her books and she seemed so irreverently sensible with lots of good advice. Both a great loss.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations, Mom! And, congratulations to your daughter. I love her fierceness and determination.

    Thank you for noting the life and work of Barbara de Jounge. I have a lot of learning and research.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Enterprising kid, and enterprising Mama! Swedish in three months?!? And what great tips on picking up a language fast!

    Love the travel accessories, especially the idea of making them out of a cuddly sweater material. DD2 will fly (has flown?) in comfort.

    So sorry to hear of the death of Barbara de Jounge. What a fun and inspirational legacy she's left, though . . .

    ReplyDelete