Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Vogue 1311 - Koos Bag



When this Koos bag pattern came out in late April, I was smitten. I decided it was just the thing to make now that I am replete with red FabMo fabrics.


Auditioning FabMo samples for the sides and straps. The bag bottom, completed, is underneath.

I hoped it would be a quick project but, like all bags, it took longer than I expected.

This bag has some interesting details. First, it is shaped like a squat cylinder, however the location of the straps means that it falls into a spherical shape when held. Top-stitching on both sides of the circular seams at the top and bottom, flatten the seam allowances and further encourage a spherical shape.

Strap Holes:

You might recall when I made the Koos coat that it had wonderful buttonholes. In fact, I recommended that you buy the pattern, if only for the buttonholes.


The bag uses the same design element, except this time they are used for inserting the ends of the straps.


Strap holes, in process.

One thing I did differently from the pattern: it instructs you to fold the raw edges to the insides of the little squares. To reduce bulk, I mitered those corners.


Interfacing:

The pattern calls for fusible hair canvas interfacing. I used fusible fleece. Once I applied the fusible fleece to each piece, I stitched in the ditch along the piecing seams to quilt the fleece to the outside layer. This shouldn't be necessary, but I find that fusible fleece peels off fairly easily.


Straps

The fabric I used for the straps is double sided. So I pieced the straps to use both sides. Also, the last few bags/totes I've made have had straps that were too short. So I lengthened these by a bit over 3". I used the fusible fleece inside the straps, as well.


Zipper:

The bag calls for a 16" zipper. I started the project last weekend and I was not in the mood to leave the house for a zipper. My zipper box did not have anything appropriate, when I noticed a white zipper, approx 18" long. This was a nice heavy duty separating zipper with metal teeth and two zipper pulls. I bought it, long ago, for a few cents at Fabrix. It had a white cotton tape.


I decided to paint it. (At first I thought I'd dye it, but I had no red dye and did not want to go out to buy that either.) I bought fabric paints a couple years ago when I was experimenting with silk screening, so I painted the zipper with Metallic Crimson Lumiere paint by Jacquard.


I hung it outside to dry...


steam set it with the iron, and shortened it (from both ends) by approx 2".


I was very happy with the new color. There was some paint on the metal teeth, but most of it seems to have rubbed off already. Lumiere adheres to fabric, but not to metal.


Piecing:

This pattern has two views. I made view A. View B is similar, but has overlays and bias binding covering the edges of the overlays, similar to the recent Koos swing coat pattern.


Pattern pieces are provided for the piecing. I used the provided pattern for the top and bottom of the bag, but I was not satisfied with the 5 pieces provided for the side of the cylinder.


I ended up using 10 pieces for the side, instead of 5.

Note that if you wanted to make this without any piecing, it would be easy to do. They provide pattern pieces for the interfacing and lining that are not pieced, so you could use those for the outside, as well.

Lining:

View A has no pockets. View B has one pocket. I made two pockets, using the pattern from view B. I like these little pleated pockets. They are sewn to the lining so that they extend over the upper seam that attaches the circle to the side.


I did not have any FabMo lining fabrics long enough for the side, so I pieced together five silk samples, changing the direction of the stripe. Hanging off the ironing board is one of the original silk samples.


I finished the bag last night. It's ridiculous. It's big, like an overnight bag, and I love it! It makes me smile. I just need an overnight invitation to use it. ;)


When I did my photo shoot today of the finished bag, I decided that it resembles a pumpkin, so I plopped it into some plants that resemble pumpkin vines. (I'm informed that these are nasturtiums.)


Coincidence...

Recently, I've been checking the Vogue website daily, waiting for the Fall patterns to be revealed. When I opened the site this morning, I saw they are featuring this pattern on the front page.


45 comments:

  1. I clicked into the Vogue Pattern site for the same reason you did before coming to your blog, so imagine how pleasantly surprised I was to see your version made up. This is just lovely and again I'm bowled over by your ability to create these amazing pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shams - I love the purse - very you! I love the colors you've put together.

    Your new coat is awesome also. Was great seeing your inspiring creations.
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Consider yourself invited for an overnight (or two)...fabulous bag...it's the first one that has made me want to make another bag...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a great bag. You did a WONDERFUL job! Love the fabrics and your detailed explanation of construction. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shams, what a great bag! Seeing your gorgeous version of this is inspirational - I may have to put it on my list of patterns to buy. Those buttonholes - love them. If you find yourself in this neck of the woods with your overnight bag, there's always room in the studio!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shams this is absolutely fabulous! Your choice of fabrics are perfect, and the finished result stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Definitely an amazing bag. Your choice of fabrics is perfect. All those wonderful little details really make it special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the bag. You are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have such a great eye for mixing fabrics, the bag is wonderful. I must try and work on this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a cool bag! Great use of FabMo fabrics as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous bag! Very innovative to paint the zipper. You chose nice color combinations. I was considering making this bag, too. But I love pockets inside for organizing inside my things and was thinking that one was not enough. So I'm glad that you pointed out that there is ample room for more pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shams, as usual you are a wealth of fabulous information... painting a zip? I never would have thought of it. Thanks for the great tip! Your bag is divine, love the shape, the patterns the colour, the mix, everything.
    And I agree, those buttonholes are super awesome. And that last Koos pattern picture, oh dear. I am seriously tempted... again. Visiting your blog is dangerous!
    Thank you so much for your never-ending inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh I love this bag, well worth the effort you put in. Painting the zip is such a great idea too, and I really love the buttonholes you made on your koos jacket and want to steal that idea (I have seen lots of inspiration on threads for different buttonholes using embroidery, I just need to get round to doing it).

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, how gorgeous. The pattern and the fabric you used are a beautiful combination. Loved to read all the details, buttonholes, painted zip etc. Enjoy and use soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's all pretty fabulous! I have to say that it is the fancy button holes that really caught my attention. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have an open invitation to visit me at the beach. With your bag so I can drool over it. Bring your Koos coat, too, for the nippy sea breezes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A serious case of coat envy going on here. Did you use all the 6 yards of fabric? I have a piece of red denimish fabric that I got in Portland when I was over in the winter. It's wide, but I don't have 6m. I think I shall get the pattern anyway, I'd kind of looked at it, but needed the push to purchase it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Great looking bag. I like what you did with the zipper, great idea. I appreciate your informative post. I have not made purses in ages; yours is very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous bag and I am having serious bag envy buggers right now! I love how you improvised the zip and the colors are so cool. This is definitely on my "wannado" list.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing bag! I love the colours, the richness and the unique design. It looks super expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The bag is beyond fabulous, but I might be almost more impressed with your forethought in taking such great pictures during construction! Making this sort of complex bag does not appeal to me at all, but it is really a work of art and suits you so perfectly. Thanks for the zipper tip!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fab bag - and as for a invite to use it as an over-night bag - the door is always open!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, one of my all time favorites of your projects - your color choices are always so wonderful - your projects inspire me and now it looks like they also inspire Vogue.

    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  24. Consider this an open invitation to your bag and you to visit San Diego! What a lovely bag and what an excellent post! My favorite episode is the Zipper Transformation! You just ooze clever problem solving! (And I know exactly what those days are like, when you just want to get on with it without leaving the house!)

    Congratulations on a your beautiful bag!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love it and you did a great job with the fabrics - very rich looking. Perfect for you! Now to find the pattern here. . .

    ReplyDelete
  26. If you come north, visit with me and bring your beautiful bag. I am saving a link to this post in order to refer back to...it is chock full of helpful hints! Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I never think of making bags... but this one is so awesome! It's a perfect palette for color and/or texture lovers. I'll have to add this pattern to my cart for the next sale!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such a cute bag! Great zipper save with the fabric paint. That's definitely something I would have done. And hey, now I know what to do with all the handles that are 3" too long for me - I'll pass on that extra 3" to you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeus bag! I love everything about it: The fabrics, the button holes... I have some bag patterns but I´m so sure they are going to look terrible I never give them a try.... You are very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Painting a zip! The Koos Buttonhole on a bag! You are indeed a wealth of inspiration :) :) :) Love the bag - and hey - you could pop over to the East Bay for a pajama party and an excuse to use the bag - easy peasy ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  31. LOVE it!!! I don't need another pattern, but it's a have to have!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a great bag! I'm in awe of your talent!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. It's wonderful. Enjoy using it and you could always put it on display as a sculpture

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am truly madly deeply in love with your bag, but more than that I bow down to you for your vision to make the Koos coat in cambray denim. Mind if I copy?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Shams, this is truly beyond magnificent! I love,love,love it! everthing about is gorgeous, not least of which are the colours and fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  36. You rock!!!

    Signed,
    Janet in Forest Knolls

    ReplyDelete
  37. You did a fabulous job! What a great bag and I love the dye job you did on the zip. The bag looks big enough to use as an overnight bag.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Painting the zip is a brilliant idea that would never have occurred to me, but is now firmly implanted as a useful technique. Thanks! Your bag is amazing. I love your fabric combinations and the awesome button holes in particular. I haven't made a proper bag yet, but this is very tempting all of a sudden.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love this bag!! All of the colors and details are gorgeous -- and painting the zipper is just inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love it - I would invite you here but I think you might need an even larger bag than that!
    I hadn't looked at that Koos pattern for the buttonholes) but I will now.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Awesome bag! You did a really nice, nice job o sewing. It looks just great!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I like your bag and the 10 pieces are lovely. Like the fabric choices too, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  43. So lovely! You do have quite an eye!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I'm so glad you made this bag -- it's been calling out to me, but I didn't think I had the patience to make it, and I know I'd never have done such a beautiful job. You've turned Miss Muffet's tuffet into a work of art!

    Your strap hole squares are incredible . . . what beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Are you still here? Hoping to finish a bag with this pattern this weekend. Using vintage Japanese stamped indigo as the base and various other habdcwovens of my own as patches. Taking a Research Break every now and then I found your 7 year old post helpful.. i have put off stitiching the zipper/handles/top as long as I can. If you are still here will post when I finish..

    ReplyDelete