Sunday, February 16, 2014

Asymmetric Sweater in Blue


Happy President's Day (and hopefully a long weekend), for those of you in the U.S.!
Happy weekend to everyone else. :)

First, I want to thank Carolyn of Diary of a Sewing Fanatic. On Friday, she listed her top 10 sewing blogs. She included a second list of her favorite "Art to Wear Stitchers" and I was included in that list.

Welcome to the new followers I have, as a result!

The funny thing is, I don't really think of myself as an "art to wear" sewist, but I know what she means. There are so many of us who like our clothing a bit "off the beam", whether it's Lagenlook, steampunk, retro, or vintage, that it doesn't feel so unusual to me.

And I am happy to report I have some sewing to show you. Since I have so little time to sew these days, I haven't been able to attempt big projects and, when I do have some time and energy, I work on appeals to me in that moment.

Recently Gayle, a creative force herself, gifted me with a pattern that she had traced off from RTW. I decided to test the pattern using an inexpensive sweater knit, so I used the blue knit leftover from a cocoon sweater I had made.

This was a very quick sew!

For the drawstring, I used a strip of the selvedge from the knit.

Twirling

Closeup of the sweater knit, though this phone pic looks a bit washed out - the other pics are taken with my Canon. (By the way, I sewed the hems and the drawstring channels by hand.)

I love this bracelet made of old rubber tires and bike parts, but I quickly realized that it doesn't really work with a sweater knit.

I definitely like this top well enough to make it again! I do plan to wear this to work, so that makes it career-wear, right? Carolyn? :)

Oh, and you should check out Gayle's striped version that she made last November. Thanks again, Gayle!

(And this post just goes to show what an amazing community we have of online sewists. I am grateful to each of you!)

43 comments:

  1. Shams, this is fantastic. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Love the color on you. It rocks with you hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon, though it's hard to see my hair under the hat. :)

      Delete
  3. What a fun top! I'm glad you found time to sew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, accidentally used Mark's Chrome window instead of mine.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, badmomgoodmom! I am determined to get some sewing in. :)

      Delete
  4. Appealingly edgy :) it looks great and will be a stylish fun top to wear! So glad you have been able to sneak in some sewing time and what a fabulous result.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a pattern worth making again. It's perfect on you and of course it perfect for your workplace! Love your boots.
    My nephew just started at Google, I don't know what department but he was head hunted and he's very happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy! Very cool about your nephew. :)

      Delete
  6. I love that knit, such a bright colour. And the pattern is very stylish.
    And the bracelet is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the top - when this showed up on my blogger list thing it looked nice but a touch more ordinary than your usual style- then I opened the post and saw the whole picture rather than just the neckline. You rock the hem and the drawstring (how do you stop yourself from pulling on it jst for fun?)
    And I love the bracelet. Did you make it or can you tell us who did? (I laughed about the combo with the sweater knit!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lyndle! The bracelet is by Kathleen Nowak Tucci, and I got it at a discount. :)

      Delete
  8. Great sweater! How fun to have patterns passed down from friends! I hope you sew your little fingers off this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous top - it looks great layered!

    It is funny, when I read that Carolyn had you under the 'art to wear' list it took a moment or two for me absorb that - but I think that she is absolutely right. I think that your garments have a definite feel, that is most certainly you (yep, I know, we have not met . . . but . . . . !)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your whole outfit, well put together and looks very comfortable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary Glenn! It is very comfortable. I try to only wear clothes that look good but feel like lounge-wear. :)

      Delete
  11. Love this top - very flattering and fabulous lines. What more could a sewist want?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE that top and it looks very nice on you...all your clothes do, but I like this one the best.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're welcome, Shams. I'm glad it worked so well for you. I love it in the sweater knit, I have a couple that will work well for this. I also thought about a lightweight fleece.
    Thanks for the nice things you said!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Gayle, I can see making this in a variety of fabrications. Thanks again!

      Delete
    2. By the way, I had to make mine bigger in the bust than yours. :)

      Delete
  14. I always look forward to a post from you! Glad you are finding some free time...and the knit top is cool!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw Gayle's original piece and filed it away for future consideration. But you've actually done a great Shams-ified version that looks quite different from the original! (Now I really want to make one too...) Totally love the boots, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louisa! Yes, I can see making this up in different fabrics.

      Delete
  16. I definitely think of you as an "art-to-wear" person. And I agree with others, this color is great on you. I bet you have some kind of long necklace artware that you could pair with this, too. Another lovely, artistic creation, and amazing "trial run"!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karla! I guess I do think of myself as arty, but I know lots of people who are artier than I am. ;)

      Delete
    2. By the way, I do have a perfect necklace for this - I forgot to put it on for the pics, but I did put it on when I wore this out for the day.

      Delete
  17. Looks so good on you and the blue is a really good color for you. Love how the print skirt peeks out.

    ReplyDelete