Saturday, March 22, 2014

Butterick 5986 - Take Two - A Skirt!


As you may remember, last weekend I made the Katherine Tilton dress, Butterick 5986. Here is the pic after I completed my alterations:

I love the details of the skirt, but I wasn't as happy with the trapeze shape of the loose-fitting dress. To address this, I had removed 2" from the CF seam. I then took two large tucks at the side waist, where a seam would be, if there were a seam.

After these alterations, the dress was ok, but I still didn't love it. It was very comfy, but I knew I would wear it only around the house. One problem is that I used a very "droopy" fabric, and the cowl neckline needs a fabric with a bit more body, so that it drapes, without drooping. But, in general, the dress just didn't feel like "me".

So I decided to chop it off and make it into a skirt.

But first, I removed the side tucks and put the dress back on for more pictures. (And WOW, is it a super comfy dress!) These next two pics show the dress, sewn from the envelope, in a size 16. The only alterations were the removal of 2" from the CF seam beginning from the bust, and tapering of the sleeve from the elbow to the hem.

Definitely not a good look on this busty figure

Long ago, I made a "belt" made from 1" elastic which is handy in these sorts of situations.

I put it on and marked the dress with lots of pins.

I then used a Clover Chalk pen to draw the cutting line. I chopped it along the chalked line.

I measured the waist after cutting. It was 56", which is much larger than my actual waist. (Not surprising, since the pattern is marked as loose fitting.) Because the fabric was so drapey, I didn't bother removing fullness, but I added an elastic waistband.

Voila!

I LOVE this skirt!

It is comfy and edgy - two qualities I love in my clothing. I will get loads of wear out of this. In fact, DD1 is home for spring break - she attends university in Oregon which is a good 10 hour drive away. She brought a friend and the three of us are hanging out tomorrow. I think I'll wear my new skirt.

And, hopefully, I'll get a tiny bit more sewing in. I have a long todo list!

37 comments:

  1. What a great idea. It is fabulous as a skirt. What thoughts do you have for the top?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the skirt! I share your shape (busty with no hips) and finding a decent looking dress is usually an exercise in futility. Skirts shaped like this one usually work well. I love the top and jacket you styled it with too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Shams, I just wasn't feeling the dress so I'm thrilled you made it into a fabulous skirt. I didn't want to express any negative feelings as I think you make wonderful, creative garments that suit your shape and spirit. You made the right decision IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes! Styling this as a skirt is perfectly you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you were able to remake this into a skirt you'll love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire your abilities to: 1. Realize that the dress just didn't feel right to you; 2. Decide how to make it into a garment that you love; 3. Execute beautifully! All of those are challenging and real skills. Great result! My shape is so different that I have a hard time relating--a skirt like this would make me look so bottom heavy. But it's perfect on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with your assessment and the skirt looks fabulous! Enjoy wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Love It As A Skirt! Just The Perfect Amount Of Edgy.. :) Have A Great Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. cool skirt - looks Great on You!
    and I like your badass chain necklace...
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good call- great save- awesome skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you definitely made the right call! That skirt is a great wardrobe staple - so many options to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it as a skirt -- what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a great rescue!
    The skirt is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  15. While I think your altered dress looks good on you, the skirt is even nicer and I can see it being much more wearable. Skirts like this in neutrals and great fashion workhorses.

    I have to say thank you for showing how the dress looks out of the envelope, info we all need to have/see. You called this one spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also thought the dress with alterations looked really nice on you. But if a cool edgy, skirt works better for you, then the dress had to be sacrificed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That skirt is great - and it looks fabulous for twirling! In fact the skirt is really interesting to look at. As other have said = good save! Have fun hanging out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A MUCH better look for you. It looks GREAT on you. You did it AGAIN!!!! Talented lady you are!

    ReplyDelete
  19. fabulous skirt! You have a great eye for re-fashioning.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for showing us the original results and for taking accurate measurements...too bad the envelope did not reveal this little secret! Who wears a dress with 20 or more extra inches in the waist...can you spell muumuu or tent?
    Now your new skirt can roam around and get compliments and lots or wear in this transitional time of year when we still need a cozy top! Good job, Shams!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Soooo much better as a skirt! Excellent decision!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great idea! I liked the dress quite a lot, but it's really wonderful as a skirt. I hope you feel fabulous every time you wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sooo much better as a skirt. I love your elastic circle "tool" and think I need one too. I have a dress that screams maternity on me, but I love the fabric and have been wanting to turn it into a skirt as well. You just gave me the inspiration to make the job a little easier. Thanks Sham!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really hate your before pictures. This is really not a curve friendly dress! I liked it better after your alterations, but this skirt really works the best. I like how it balances out your body.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It works beautifully on you as a skirt! What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I agree with your assessment about what works best for your body type. How we feel in an outfit really does matter.
    Deborah
    Sewmuchtogive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. The skirt seems to suit you really well. Nice save!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good call! I looks sooo much better as a skirt. Not just the shape but I think the all over dots was a bit overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That skirt is awesome. Good save! The boots and jacket finish the outfit perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Terrific save and great outfit. You are showing again that sewing means problem solving and creativity. If you don't like it, change it!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great save! I love it so much more as a skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Just started sewing again after 30 year absence. Obviously things have changed! I started with the Vogue 1004 sample pattern. I am small framed and a 44 DD. The size 20 pattern I chose because it was more closely aligned to my neck measurement. The front of the bodice is waaay to narrow. Question: how do I make a bodice full enough (not just FBA) to hang well without increasing the neck size? I don't want to always have to wear darts around the neck to accommodate for extra fabric in the front. Can I just add on the side seams under the arm? What are your thoughts--thank you so much for your time and your wonderful site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne! It is very difficult to advise you without seeing pictures. Also, did you do an FBA on the pattern before making a test?

      Are you familiar with the Stitcher's Guild forum? It's free to join and you can post pictures to the Critique board and ask for fitting help. (If it intimidates you to post pictures, cut your head off...)

      You can get great help on the forum - there are many folks who are excellent at general fitting help, but I will also take a looksie.

      Good luck!

      Delete