Sunday, August 17, 2014

Scuba Dooba Doo! A Scuba & Ponte Knit Dress


What a delightfully quick sew! I made this dress in one day, but then, it really is like a long t-shirt, so it should be quick!

I used McCalls 6028, which I have made before, though I had to start from a fresh pattern in a larger size, so it took me an entire evening to perform all of my alterations:

  • Lowered the bust point by 2" and widened the bust point.
  • Lowered the front neckline by 1". (If you read the reviews, this pattern has a fairly high neck.)
  • Shortened the dress by about 8".
  • Lengthened the sleeve to full length.
  • Omitted the back zipper and cut the back on the fold.
  • I wanted to cut up the print as little as possible, and I wanted to preserve the curved shape at the top of the print, so I joined the center front pattern piece to the front yoke and cut them as a single unit. This created an inset corner, but I don't mind sewing inset corners - remember, I am a gusset lover! ;)
  • Widened the waistline.
  • Removed many inches from the hipline, and continued this down through the hem.
  • I drafted facing for the neckline. I cut them out of the solid black ponte and pushed them slightly to the outside to create faux piping.

The solid black fabric is a wool doubleknit. When I found this wool on sale (it was sold as a wool ponte, but it's 97% wool and 3% lycra and is your basic doubleknit fabric), I bought 10 yards of it, so this is the third or fourth project where I have used it. I just love this stuff! It is warm, but it breaths, so mixing it with the scuba knit, which does not breath, means that the final garment is comfy to wear.

I love dressing this way, especially for work: A short sheath-style dress, worn with leggings or tights, is very flattering on my busty-with-thin-legs shape. I expect to wear this a lot as the weather cools.

Travel

I don't expect to be sewing much between now and the end of August, when I leave for Minnesota. For one thing, I have a final walking challenge that starts next week - to walk 100,000 steps in 7 days. Except I will be flying on the last day of the challenge, so I have 6 days. That means a lot of walking next weekend!

It looks like I will be going to Seattle for work in early September. Unfortunately, it will be a short trip and I won't have much time for fun, but if I do have a tiny bit of time, what is not-to-be-missed? (Though, to be honest, I might take the train to Portland and then meet up with DD1, who is eager to show me the house she is renting this year at school - it's her first non-student-housing experience!)

Have a great week!

58 comments:

  1. This is so flattering and so 'on trend' Shams - really love it! The placement of the scuba print is perfect and compliments your shape. You have a real knack (sp?) for choosing unique fabrics and finding the perfect pattern to showcase them!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out so wonderful! The print is just fabulous! Great in every way; you look fab, and the fit--perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your dress/tunic. It's perfect for you. So are those fabulous boots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Especially how you used the scuba print!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carolyn! This dress reminds me of you!

      Delete
  5. Yours is exciting work on this dress. You look like Ancient Egyptian royalty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look great in this! Love that scuba knit print!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! Love the print and the placement is perfect. I really like how the panels cut up into / across the bust area. I'm shaped almost exactly like you and had spied out this pattern, wondering how it would work for me because of that specific detail. Now I know! Lol. Well, except mine won't be anywhere near as cool as yours. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the fabric placement on the front and back. I would have never imagined that was the pattern you used until I scrolled down. I love long tunics with fitted pants/leggings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, combining those two pattern pieces really changed the look. Thanks!

      Delete
  9. OMG...it's fabulous! Leave it to you to do the perfect fabric/pattern/body mix!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very flattering! Another unique design from Shams!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome to Seattle! I would love to meet you when you are in town. Must see fabric stores are Nancy's Sewing Basket and District Fabrics. Pike Place Market and Sandy Lew Boutique (within two blocks of each other) are great fun. And then there are so many restaurants of note. I would be happy to be your tour guide....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! This is going to be such a short trip, I may not have any extra time for fun, but I will keep your generous offer in mind!

      Delete
  12. The way you manipulated the fabric print around the neckine is brilliant. As usual, amazing! Thank you for the continuing inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, I was tickled with the neckline placement, which was secondary to the placement of the curves. Thanks!

      Delete
  13. Awesome! It looks great on you and can see this outfit being a favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this dress--the print is so striking, and it looks fantastic on you. Re: Seattle--I wrote a "roundup" post of Seattle fabric shops. We've got some great apparel fabric shops here (although nothing like what Portland has). Here's the link: http://happilycaffeinated.blogspot.com/2014/07/seattle-fabric-shop-roundup-summer-2014.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle! I'm off to read your blog post!

      Delete
  15. Very nice! Love what you did with the print. And yes, it is very flattering :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely! I like how you used the motifs in the centre panel--it's a lovely statement!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been intrigued by scuba knit--love what you've done with it! So flattering!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Too much Fun with graphics! What a GREAT look on you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So great to see what you are sewing! Fabulous and so now! You continue to be an inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great print placement. Very effective!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great dress! I would love to hear more about your walking program. Is it a group challenge? How do you fit it in your work schedule? You really look healthier than when you first lost weight....your skin just glows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peggy! Yes, my company participates in a 100-day Global challenge (with thousands of companies all over the world) called the GCC (Global Corporate Challenge). It began in May and ends in September. Along there way there are mini challenges and trophies for various achievements. You participate as a team of 7 and my team consists of myself and 6 other writer-colleagues - we are called the Run On Sentences. My overall step average is 12,000+ steps a day, but I have many days in the 16,000 - 18,000 range, and I had one day where I walked 31,000 steps (for a mini challenge). And then I have other days where I walk 3000 steps. :)

      As far as being "healthier looking", I am eating loads of vegetables, drinking lots of water, and walking a lot. But then I was pretty much doing that before, too. (Though, I admit, I was not walking as much as I am now.)

      Thanks!

      Delete
  22. What a great combo of scuba and ponte! A wetsuit out of that fabric would really confuse the fish! What is your walking program? You look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary Helen! :) I describe a bit about the walking program in my response above, but you can learn more on their website: https://www.gettheworldmoving.com

      Delete
  23. Are you getting younger? You look awesome in this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, Judy, such a sweet compliment! Definitely not getting younger. ;)

      Delete
  24. The District Fabrics store is 2 blocks from the Fremont Google offices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, what GREAT info, Northwet! That sounds doable on a lunch break. :)

      Delete
  25. oh boy, looking good Shams! That's a dang cute dress. My cats are longing to meet you and consider themselves not to be missed when visiting Seattle. They say "Sharon come on over for breakfast, we'll share our Little Friskies!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claire! LOL, you crack me up with your kitties sharing their Friskies. I don't know if I can socialize this trip, but I hope to return another time for a longer visit!

      Delete
    2. The kitty invitation stands. Also the humans invite you and for next time will offer human food and a human bed! Unless you like a nice blanket on the floor!

      Delete
  26. This outfit is one of your better looks, IMO. I love seeing your slim legs! The dress is way cute and looks uber comfortable. Another great make!

    ReplyDelete
  27. While I would love to meet up with you for some Seattle fun, I think you should go see you daughter. The fabric shopping is much, much better in Portland, too.
    I love the outfit. The print placement at the neck is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's the most likely scenario for this trip, Becky. I am hoping to do a proper visit to Portland next spring.

      Delete
  28. BAM! jackpot! really really nice marriage and flattering!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love it and want one just like it!

    ReplyDelete