Sunday, August 24, 2014

Striped Crinkle Tablecloth Skirt


I made another Tablecloth skirt! (Click the link for free instructions on how to make your own!)

I recently acquired 2 yards of a lovely, boldly striped, crinkled cotton from Smuggler's Daughter, called Paris Stripes - La Bastille. (Click the pic to see the listing on their site.)

I wanted to use a pattern that would make the most of the lovely yardage. An added bonus - this skirt is a very quick sew! I hemmed it by hand, so as not to stretch out the pleats.

I tweaked the dimensions from my previous versions to use the 2 yards - my previous versions were longer and used more yardage. The four hem panels are 13"x41", and the center square is 41"x41". I quite like this length!

I think I may take this to Minnesota! (I haven't checked the weather there lately. I hope it is not too hot and humid. Shams may melt!

Twirling. You can really see the tablecloth shape!

Not twirling, just windy!

Thanks for your lovely comments on the Butterfly top. I had a lot of fun with that challenge!

By the way, no need to be concerned about me regarding last night's 6.1 earthquake! It did get my attention and woke me up at 3:20am. It was more of a rolling earthquake (not a sharp jolt) and it lasted for seconds, but there was zero damage here. Napa (about an hour away) took the brunt of it. I checked with my former in-laws this morning - they have a business there. They have some superficial damage that will require about a day to clean up, but nothing structural, and no one was injured, thank goodness.

20 comments:

  1. what a relief to know that you and yours are okay! I love this iteration of the tablecloth skirt, the fabric looks great and I can imagine it with various tops you have made over the years... actually you are inspiring me to look through my stash for something suitable for making one of my own...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this skirt! You look great and it is good to know that you have survived the great Napa earthquake. Thanks for letting everyone know where you got the fabric. We have three different "Paris Stripes" fabrics and they are all on sale through September 1. Have a great time in Minnesota!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this skirt. And I love what that particular fabric did for it. I've made three of them: the first out of an old green Christmas plaid ball gown (which took some creative piecing to salvage enough fabric); the second from leftover lightweight denim (which required a 3" strip of print fabric along the "table's edge" to have enough fabric; and the third from a gorgeous Italian woven silk whose hand resembles baby alpaca...
    ... Now you've inspired me to make a fourth one from a sorta stripey leftover yardage from an old bed pillows project. My friends who have begged me to make this skirt for them will be none too happy, because I told them three was enough. Thanks for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fabulous! What a great choice of fabric/pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new version! I've contemplated this one, oh, about twenty times in the last two years, but never got around to it ( a round tuit) because I'm really much more of a trousers/pants gal.

    I slept through the earthquake. I've been going to bed around 2 am and then I sleep like the seven horses of the Apocalypse could not wake me. And they didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you're safe. You really rock the skirt that looks lively and pretty as it moves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great fabric for this pattern! I've made 2 t-cloth skirts, and they're still very much in rotation. Hmmm..... may need to re-visit it....

    Love the "glamour shot" btw - you were probably trying to control your hair in the wind, but it reads glamour shot to me! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you are OK and this wasn't THE BIG ONE.

    Love your skirt. The proportions of this outfit work really well on you. Very nice and twirl away!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you're okay. Nice skirt, too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you and yours are safe! Your choice of fabric is just great for the style.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute skirt! I have some similar fabric, though it is a large, uneven plaid. I think it will be a skirt too :-) Glad the eq didn't cause damage to your home, though sad that Napa got hammered.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a Fantastic silhouette on you...
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is awesome. The bold stripe works so well with this style! Love the new proportions on you, too. Now I think I'll have to make a second one for myself...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like that length for the skirt! Happy to hear you and your ex-inlaws are safe from the earth rumbles.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful, great with leggings and boots alike.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your skirt is totally dreamy, as is the fabric! I think it looks exactly like a skirt that should go on a trip to Minnesota, unless it turns out it will melt you. But I bet it would look very nice w/sandals, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you were okay. I wondered when I saw the news last night. The skirt looks great. I have a similar fabric and now I'm dreaming of what might work with it. Enjoy you trip with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad to know you are ok! What a fun skirt - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your skirt is great and I don't think you will melt if you bring it on your trip to MN. I live about an hour away from the Twin Cities. We have been having really nice weather - high 70s during the day and into the 50/60s at night. Hope you enjoy your visit!

    ReplyDelete