Monday, April 13, 2015

Mesh Knit Spring Cardi


Mesh Knit Spring Cardi

Mesh Knit Spring Cardi

It's time to highlight another garment made from a lovely Britex fabric! (You can also see my post on the Britex blog.)

Spring has officially sprung! I'm sure everyone, especially those on the east coast, are heaving a collective sigh a relief, yes? I know that my daughter, a San Francisco native who is attending university in Minnesota, is happy to see the thermostat climb.

My spring and summer wardrobe really need some sprucing up, so I was happy to have an opportunity to select a piece of fabric from Britex's Knits page. This Oversized Plaid Stretch Lace beckoned and I followed.

The pattern is one of my TnT (Tried 'n True) tops, Vogue 8951, though I have modified it considerably, as I like to do. (That is the great thing about a pattern—once it fits, you are free to focus on the styling—that's when sewing is really fun!)

I am wearing the cardi over a sleeveless top

This fabric, a printed mesh lace, was quite easy to sew. It reminds me of a crocheted lace, though it is not. The bolt says "100% polyester", but it has more of a cotton-like hand to it. It is not slinky or slippery and is, in fact, fairly stable. I had no trouble cutting, sewing, or pressing it (at a low temp, just in case).

I decided to make a simple cardigan with 3/4 length sleeves. I sewed the entire cardigan wrong sides together so the raw edges were to the outside. I then pressed the seams open and trimmed them to a scant 1/4".

Pins tend to fall out of the mesh fabric, so I used small safety pins to mark the sleeve fronts.

I bound the raw edges, including the outside edges, with 1" strips of black rayon jersey from my bag o' scraps. The jersey was much more slippery and stretchy than the mesh, so I machine sewed the jersey to the cardi with the strips against the feed dogs and the mesh on top. This also makes it easier to stitch in the same line of stitching that secured the seams. I folded the remaining edge of the jersey around the raw edge, turned it under, and hand stitched in place.

Look, ma, no raw edges on the inside!

From the outside. As you can see, the mesh is not super sheer. That "dot" in the center of the picture is not a sun spot, it is my necklace showing through the fabric.

This little cardi will be a welcome addition to my warm-weather wardrobe. The open fabric of the mesh provides coverage for my upper arms, but also allows for air flow. Mesh is very on-trend right now—most any clothing store is featuring mesh garments for spring and summer.

Thanks to mem for taking the photos

And thanks to Britex for the fabric!

52 comments:

  1. Very nice! I like how you did the seams on the outside--very Chanel-ish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, chesneykat! Yes, binding to the outside is all over RTW right now.

      Delete
  2. Great post! Love the jacket, love the pictures...the mesh jacket is a wonderful mix of whimsy and classic...good show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely cardigan in great fabric. I love the way you made a feature of the seams - it is probably more comfortable to wear that way too.
    Fabulous chair too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, ML! Actually the cut edges of the mesh are totally soft. My decision to bind them was purely for aesthetic reasons. And thanks!

      Delete
  4. that is a very cool cardigan. But the BRACELET!!!!!!! I am a very light shade of green!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Thanks, Claire! That bracelet is by MariRose. She had a booth at Artistry in Fashion last year. http://www.marirosejewelryart.com

      Delete
  5. That's clever binding the seams on the outside. Gives a really nice outline to the garment. Love how you have styled it too. Very nice outfit! I think it is time to pull out my meshes from the stash :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vicki! Yes, mesh is very IN right now!

      Delete
  6. Fabulous. Looks great on you. Love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this very much-the binding is so chic and the mesh is cool. I found some green mesh on a remnant table last week and was really excited but have no ideas yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! Look through various online stores and you will see lots of mesh inspiration!

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad I found this post tonight...I have a funky/lovely piece of mesh net that I want to sew...but I've been at odds over seaming and so on. I adore your seam treatment! and the binding is perfect. Great cardi!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks, Pamela! Yup, another fun piece of furniture at Google Mountain View. :)

      Delete
  10. Very smart. Its perfectly on trend fabric, and your binding treatment looks terrific

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice and such an effective way of finishing off the seams on the outside.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great looking garment--by itself and on you! Makes me want to sew again. Just a perfect style, finish and fabric. Thanks for the morning inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely, lovely and I love (Whoops! a lot of love going on here!) your shoulder and edge finishes. I've been wanting to try that look!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic topper! That's what I love about TNTs the ability to do whatever you want with them once you've got it fitted to your body!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn, with you, I know that I'm preaching to the choir! Thanks!

      Delete
  15. clever techniques, it looks great. And you remind me of Edith Ann in that last photo - OK now I am showing my age and anyone of similar vintage will know what I am talking about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. LOVE Edith Ann! And THAT'S the truth! Pfffthththtb! Thanks!

      Delete
  16. Loving this, especially no seams on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love how much fun you have taking the pictures! 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nita! It helps that I have a friend (mem) who gets into it - it's a lot more fun because of her.

      Delete
  18. That's a classy looking jacket and a very clever way to do the seams. My next project is with a mesh knit too. I've had the fabric a long time and was afraid it was out of style now, so I'm glad to hear it isn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori! Nope, mesh is very very in for spring! (But you are living in Germany, so maybe it's losing fashion there?)

      Delete
  19. I'm sure they will run out of this fabric and others like it now that you have made such a gotta-have-it jacket! Love your quirky photos, too, Shams!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This jacket is amazing. Perfect design to highlight the fabric and love your outside seam treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is such a cool cardi. I love the way you sewed the seams on the right side then bound them. Like you I often sew binding by machine then finish with hand sewing. I think I do this to give me more control and I enjoy hand sewing to finish a garment. What are your reasons for hand sewing binding? Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! That is exactly why I finish it by hand: I have much more control, especially with this super slippery rayon lycra jersey! I'm sure that it would produce a mess if I tried to finish it by machine.

      Delete
  22. a very cool cardi! I like the seams exposed on the outside like that; I've done that once or twice and really like the look. And that oversized armchair; now that looks like fun!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fun piece, fun pictures and fun jewelry too!!! Did you make the jewelery????

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hoooo oui ! This is such a fun piece of clothing for spring or summer nights. Great choice of fabric. Lucky you, my favourite store in Montreal is always on a very classical note. He does not carry fabric like that. Lovely sewing details.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've been eyeing that fabric for a while, but couldn't figure out what to do with it! What a fabulous cardigan--it turned out incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So cute! I like the idea of sewing wrong sides together and then using knit strips to cover. You are so creative and clever. Great fabric! You have given me an idea of how to use some mesh fabric I have-thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is fabulous! Very creative! :)x

    ReplyDelete