Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Shams' Sewing Tips Video #1


Happy Tuesday eve!

I have several little updates for you.

My briefest update is this: with my last post I exceeded 2 million views on my blog! Woot! Thatsalotta views! THANKS!

And here are the rest:

Shams' Sewing Tips video #1

I was recently preparing for a sewing get together—some friends and I were going to learn how to make jewelry using narrow tubes of fabric. Turning lots of narrow tubes of fabric turned out to be a pain point for all of us. One friend was using a Fasturn tool to turn her tubes, but the wand broke. Another was using a small safety pin to turn her tubes, but it was causing her hands to ache.

When I mentioned that I keep a bobby pin near my sewing machine for this purpose, they were unfamiliar with the technique. So I decided to document this little trick.

My original plan was to ask one of my friends to shoot a quick video using my iPhone. But Sarah, who loves technology, suggested that we use her camera and then she offered it edit it together.

So, thanks to Sarah, here is my first video, a short tip on using a bobby pin to turn a narrow tube of fabric. It works with knit tubes, bias tubes, and straight-of-grain tubes.

Margy pointed out that when you buy bobby pins at the drugstore, that you are compelled to buy at least a hundred of them. No worries, why not use the extras to make a bobby pin necklace! (I took this photo at Puyallup.)

If you notice the credit at the end of the video, that is Sarah herself. She celebrated her 70th birthday by bungee jumping off the Kawarau Bridge in New Zealand. She is pretty amazing! She also taught us the technique she developed for making the jewelry.

THANKS, Sarah!

So, what do you think. Should we do more quick videos?


Making Jewelry

See, it happened like this: When I was in Puyallup this year with Sarah and Sue, Sarah brought along several necklaces that she had made featuring "beads" made from fabric tubes.

Sarah wearing one of her necklaces at Puyallup

Sue and I admired Sarah's bead necklaces. I actually made a necklace similar to this more than a year ago, but when Sarah described her technique, I couldn't quite visualize it. One evening, in our hotel room, I had Margy on the speaker phone and the four of us decided to get together at some future date to learn Sarah's technique.

The necklace I made 1.5 years ago

Last week, Margy flew in for our little get together. But before the jewelry-making commenced, we attended a local sewing gathering. I include the photos here, because you might recognize (and miss) some of these wonderful sewists, and you will certainly enjoy seeing the clothing of these stylish women!

Ann and Margy. Margy has blogged about her outfit, but Ann is wearing a Liberty shirt that she recently made.

Dorothy, Ann, Arna, and Margy. Dorothy, Ann, and Arna are each wearing the Liberty shirt.

Heather is wearing a beautiful jacket made from OOP Burda 7364. (And you can bet that I tracked down this pattern!)

Margy, looking stunning in her Marcy Tilton crinkle raincoat.

Dorothy in her snazzy prescription sunglasses

From there, we proceeded to the jewelry making!

Margy is just getting started

I love this pic!

Margy makes a mega-bead!

Margy and Sarah, two technology mavens

Focus...

Sue finishes her necklace

Finished!

Sarah's whimsical necklace

Sarah and Margy compare their self-made black-and-white bags. Margy's post about this bag was her first blog post ever. Sarah used the Poolside Tote Pattern by Noodle Head.

Filming the video...

... with Sarah

Sarah is also an amazing cook. This is her asparagus soup topped with black lentils (and some other stuff) and her homemade cashew cream. YUM!


Mini Movie Reviews: Iris and Dior and I

Both of my kids were far away on Mother's Day, so I was happy when Jillian suggested that we go see some fashion-themed movies! We saw two movies, back-to-back.

First we saw Iris, about Iris Apfel who, at 93-years-old, is a genuine style icon. The movie follows Iris through her incredibly busy life, talks about how she got started as a decorator and later moved into textiles. She worked on the White House under several presidents, including Kennedy. She is funny, witty, with a strong sense of her style, and a gigantic heart. It was particularly sweet to watch her interact with her husband, who celebrated his 100th birthday during filming. It's a real love story.

I liked this movie more than I expected—highly recommended!

Following Iris, we saw Dior and I. You might remember John Galliano, the head designer for the House of Dior until 2011, when some of his ugly behavior caught up with him and he was ousted. In 2012, Raf Simons, a Dutch designer who had been designing for Jil Sander, was hired to replace Galliano.

This movie picks up when Raf is being introduced to the employees at the House of Dior. He speaks minimal French (his English is good, but most of the employees don't speak English) and he has eight weeks to prepare for the Dior Haute Couture Spring fashion show. Eight.Weeks.For.Haute.Couture.

This movie chronicles Raf's journey, and the journey of the highly skilled and dedicated artisans of at the Dior atelier. The movie is also interspersed with voice-over excerpts from Dior's memoir, "Christian Dior and Me", written in 1956. The parallels between his memoir and Raf Simon's experience is fascinating.

Both Jillian and I felt that this movie had a slow-ish start, but by the middle of it we were totally engrossed. Another great film—highly recommended!

I'm sorry that I don't have a photo of Jillian, because she was wearing a gorgeous vest that she made from a Kantha quilt—it is very Meiko Mintz. I asked her if she plans to blog about this vest and she said yes, so maybe it's a good thing that I don't have a photo, because you will enjoy seeing it first on her blog!

Enjoy the rest of your week!

59 comments:

  1. Enjoyable post. I have not seen Ann around the sewing world lately, good to see her in your post. Looks like a fun time for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! Yes, Ann hasn't been blogging and Dorothy hasn't been posting her work to Pattern Review, but both are actively sewing wonderful things!

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous post! Totally gave me a "lift" and a "push!" Photos are great, and, yes, it was wonderful to see these creative "friends" whom we all know via the internet. Your video was super... a great technique that you demonstrated so clearly. Of course I want more! So...now that you have whetted my interest in making fabric jewelry, how do you suggest I proceed? Do you have a book recommendation? Thanks again for this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Fran! That's exactly why I do these non-sewing-but-sewing-inspired posts, so thanks so much! I'll have to ask Sarah if she's interested in posting the technique for her beads. It would be easy to show it in a brief video, if she's so inclined.

      Delete
  3. Love the necklaces and your video. I too would love a post regarding the technique. How were the beads "strung" They are hanging quite nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat! The beads are formed around elastic and then the elastic is tied to a necklace. I'll see if Sarah wants to make a video or if she minds if I make a video, as it's a technique that she developed, after seeing necklaces similar to this in a boutique.

      Delete
  4. Great job by both you and Sarah. Such a fun day and fun project. I've now decided I don't need a new Fast Turn after all. I can see more of these little videos in your future. CONGRATULATIONS on your 2 million views ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! I bought a Fasturn when they came out in the 80s. It's a nice tool, but I use it so rarely I don't even know where mine is. I do keep a bobby pin tucked into the pincushion near my sewing machine for this purpose. Whenever I need a button loop, or something like this, it's fast and convenient. Sue's Fasturn broke after she'd made about 50 tubes.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the video, I love this idea, and would like to see more videos, and yes, one on the jewelry technique would be great. I enjoyed meeting you in Puyallup, but you probably don't remember me. Looks like you have a great group of fellow sewists to hang with, how cool is that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna! I'm so glad you said "hello" in Puyallup!

      Delete
  6. Enjoyable video and thanks for the tip! A bobby pin of all things ;-) I'll have to check and see if I even have one anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Margy said the same thing, "I don't even own a bobby pin!" That's why she had to buy a big bag of 100. If the plastic tip ever falls off, it's nice to have a backup or two. ;)

      Delete
    2. If the little "tip" falls off, and eventually they all do, you can put a dollop of glue on the tip and let it dry thoroughly and it will last for quite some time. Elmer's Wood Glue is what I've used before. It doesn't dry with a tacky surface.

      Delete
  7. More little videos would be super as the ideas occur. It was so much fun actually hearing your voice and seeing you in action after having read your blog for so long. Fun, fun, fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lyrique! One woman that I met in Puyallup said how it was interesting to meet someone in person and be surprised by their voice. I had to wonder if my voice somehow disappointed her so, yes, it's nice not to surprise people in person. :)

      Delete
  8. It's fun to see sewing bloggers on video, gives a new perspective. Bobby pin, oh yeah, have some quite ancient ones in my sewing box that get this exact use. And they are quite handy for other things. Rubber bands, duct tape, bobby pins, toothpicks - the standard "how can I fix some fiddly little thing" tools in my collection :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I bet you have lots of tips, Beth! Laura A said hello, by the way! We had lunch on Monday and she told me about the time she spent with you.

      Delete
  9. Lucky you for having such wonderful sewing friends close by to commiserate with. It's great seeing Ann back on a blog, even if its not her own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am soooooo lucky, Bunny! And, yes, Ann is happy, healthy, sewing, traveling, and rocking retirement!

      Delete
    2. So happy to see my Miyake hero Ann (from PR), and super glad to know she's doing well. And nice tutorial!

      Delete
    3. Thanks, SJ! Yes, a lot of people miss Ann from the inter webs, but sometimes bloggers just need a break. :)

      Delete
  10. What Lyrique said. Would love to see a video of your dart manipulation techniques and where you do a FBA on a knit top and "smoosh" the fullness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You women are amazing. All of you gave such a sense of style! I am now interested in that jewellery technique. Must check into those movies. Wish I lived closer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, I am so grateful to have a community (both online and in real life) of amazing women and sewists. Thanks!

      Delete
  12. Very well-done video Shams! You have a nice voice and manner and presented useful information. Starring in videos (along with your information) may be a 2nd career for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks Carol! I do have an idea or two for another video, so we'll see if Sarah is game.

      Delete
  13. I love your blog! And I echo those who've asked for a video on making the cloth tube beads. So cool ...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great video, marvelous blog. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, what great memories! Didn't we have FUN....I echo others that you're a natural for videos. Bring 'em on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much fun, Margy! Thanks so much for flying up for our slumber party!

      Delete
  16. Loved your video! You are a natural. Yes, please make more!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun, happy post! LOVE the video .. and especially that great, very helpful tip. I'm going to play at tubing tonight. Thank you! More videos, PLEASE; you're a natural on camera. Can't wait to see the results of all those tubes. You all look like it was such a fun gathering, and look just mah-velous in splendid garb. That photo of the always stylish Margy is so very lovely. How great that you creative sewing adventurers can have such fabulous meetups and multiply the inspiration for us all. Hope to see more of them and more from Jillian, too .. have missed her posts.

    ~Joy~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy! Yes, I do hope Jillian does a catchup post or two, very soon!

      Delete
  18. Oh, yes....more videos when you have time. It's so fun to finally hear the voice that goes with "Shams." Love the eye candy necklaces made too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the tip with the hair clip (as we call them). I vacuumed up enough of them. Surely I can find another one somewhere :) I just saw Dior and I and it was fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, keep your eye out, Vicki! You need a couple of those in your sewing basket - a spare in case the plastic wears off of one!

      Delete
  20. Such a simple idea but it works brilliantly. I will be stealing some from my daughter! I loved the video, and yummy were so natural - well done. Another showing how to make the beads would be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Material Lady! I will as Sarah about making a bead video.

      Delete
  21. Just got to watch your video. It's great and you are a natural. You have a great voice and delivery. More!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Absolutely brilliant - a lovely snapshot into your life and the video was great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Here is a link to Roberta Carr's method of turning tiny tubes: https://www.londas-sewing.com/skiny_couture_fabric_tubes/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to turn tubes using a needle and thread, but I prefer the bobby pin method. I am not sure where I learned the bobby pin technique, but it *might* have been from Bobby Carr, back in the early 80s. She was fantabulous!! (She helped me, a bit, when I was fitting my wedding gown.) Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  24. Thank-you for the wonderful post. I envy you for the sewing friends that you can get together with. Must be such fun! I had heard and used "the bobby pin method", but I do believe somewhere down the line I missed the part of sniping a notch, as well as which way to thread on the pin. Now it should go much better ... not that I'm turning many spaghetti straps these days.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this tip! Using a bobby pin to turn a tube - and the little nick to get it started is genius.

    ReplyDelete
  26. How very clever! I have always HATED turning fabric tubes - in fact, totally avoided doing so, but I do love fabric jewellery so this post has solved one problem and encouraged me in another! Thank you, Shams!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your video and photos! I wish I had consulted you a while back when I was struggling with some darn fabric tubes that weren't cooperating -- it would have saved so much frustration. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. How wonderful to get to gather with so many amazing, creative and talented ladies! You must have had lots of fun. I really love the fabric ball beads and checked out your previous post. Omigosh, so gorgeous! You are so inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Genius - I love the tube turner!

    ReplyDelete