Friday, January 29, 2016

Friday Miscellany


TOC:


New Tilton Craftsy Class

Have you heard?

Katherine and Marcy Tilton have released a new class on Craftsy, The Artful T-Shirt!

Marcy and Katherine posted about it yesterday on Facebook and provided a link where you can get $25 off. I hopped like a bunny to Craftsy and bought the class. I started watching it after work and, thanks to a night of insomnia, I saw the entire class before the next morning!

Obviously, I wasn't sewing along. ;)

This is a great follow-up class to their last class, The Ultimate T. Covered topics include how to mix fabrics, how to sew different kinds of knits, which are easier to sew and which are more challenging. They spend a lot of time on various necklines - raw edge, selvedge edge, twisted, cowl, and twisted cowl. They cover how to draft a split cuff.

That's not a complete list of everything covered in the class, but it's a taste. I had learned the twisted neckline from Marcy when she was teaching at Design Outside the Lines three years ago, so it's nice that this technique has been caught on video for those who never had that opportunity.

The class also comes with one of Marcy's Vogue patterns, so the discounted price for the class and the pattern is quite reasonable.

I highly recommend!


Button Pattern Weights

I saw these cute ceramic buttons on Instagram, so I tracked them down at Style Maker Fabrics. While they are being sold as pattern weights, I wonder if they might originally have been created as coasters. They have rubber discs on the bottom to protect surfaces, though the button holes would allow condensation to drip through...

But who cares? They are brilliant as pattern weights!


Oscar de la Renta Exhibit

I want to make sure that the word gets out.

The de Young Museum in San Francisco is having a retrospective exhibit of Oscar de la Renta from March 12th to May 30th of this year. If you are planning a visit to San Francisco, make sure you don't miss it!


I finished sewing the faux fur, but haven't had a chance to take photos. We'll see if I can get that done this weekend—if the weather cooperates. We've been having loads of rain and it's been SO NICE. I love my Minoru jacket, but I've been wearing other coats, too. Today I wore my "wormy" poncho crocheted by Ping Wu. My New York cape was perfect topper over that.

Bring on the rain!

I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

22 comments:

  1. You are an evil enabler, Shams! I hopped right over also and signed up for Marcy and Katherine's new class. Thanks so much for the discounted link.

    BTW love the big buttons! They look very old. My own pattern weights are rocks that I've collected on vacations. Even better after being decorated by granddaughter's colouring pencils!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, Louisa! I hope you like the class!

      Your rocks sound very special!

      Delete
  2. Bought the ceramic buttons here at a home dec store, as coasters. Used them as my Christmas exchange gift at the Sewing Guild party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A ha! Yes, I was pretty sure they were made as coasters. But I love them as pattern weights! A very clever way to repurpose them.

      Delete
  3. Love these. I use big washers from the hardware store. My DH offered to paint them but I think they're fine the way they are. I looked back on your worm topper (gorgeous) and your NY cape (love !). I'm very tempted to get that class but am resisting because I'm trying to go two months without any online shopping!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana, what an admirable goal! The class will still be there after your 2 months are up, in case you want it later. ;)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the reminder about the class! Went right over to Craftsy and bought it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watch Craftsy classes hoping for osmosis. Hasn't happened yet.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I seem to be very impressionable. I decided to start watching some of my classes, which have been piling up. I just finished one of Allison Smith's tailoring classes and am starting the other. The problem is - now I want to do some tailoring but I just don't have time.

      Delete
  6. Oscar de la Renta? I guess I will be buying a ticket to the Bay area sometime soon. . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Louisa is right - you enabler, you! Just popped over to Craftsy and bought that class...I probably already own that pattern, but oh, well...can't wait to start watching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! I don't think you'll be sorry, Eileen!

      Delete
  8. I bought that class too and the first class a year or two back. It is like you are right in the room with those two crazy sisters watching magic happen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for the information on the Tilton class. I have been wanting to take a Craftsy class. I can't think of a better one to do than Tees and Tiltons. I have Marcy's book, Easy Guide to Sewing Tops & T-shirts and ave used it extensively back when I made lots of knit tops.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking forward to seeing your vest :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi shams, I resisted for a week, but did buy the class after your mini review. One can not have too many artful t shirts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the Tilton Craftsy info - I'm like so many others & jumped on the sale .
    I really loved their style & the fabric I bought last year in Pullaylup. I also enjoyed meeting you & Gayle Ortiz in the line for the fashion show . Thanks again for the nudge to buy this class & all your inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the reminder for the Tilton class. I was procrastinating, then trying to understand the sizing, then it came up as 60% off for Valentine’s. I purchased!

    ReplyDelete