Sunday, April 10, 2016

Retreating (& More)


Last weekend I attended a sewing retreat. Lots of sewing happened but, for this or that reason, I was only able to finish one quick project.

TOC:


Another Presto

I found this ITY knit in my stash and it fits with my teal color scheme. The pattern has a 3/4 length sleeve, but I lengthened the sleeve on this version. I made no other changes.

And, yes, I have new glasses. After many years of stable vision, my prescription changed substantially this year. I now require less correction though my eye doctor refuses to say that my vision has "improved", I just "require less correction." Hmmm....


Sewing Retreat

I enjoy a good sewing retreat! I recently spent 3-1/2 days in the hills outside of Watsonville with some sewing friends. What a beautiful location! It's a charming little retreat center called Venture Valley.

An apt metaphor for creative dithering

Dorothy wearing yet another of her wonderful Alabama Chanin pieces

On Instagram, I posted pics of what some of my fellow retreaters were sewing and wearing. I won't re-post all of the images here, but you can find them on my Instagram feed.

Luanne got the sunny spot

On her Instagram feed, Luanne busted me. I sew with bare feet. ;)

All packed for the retreat. Clothes in the suitcase on the left. Fabric and patterns on the right. Sewing machine and Ott light packed separately. ;)


Talk at Cañada College

My talk at Cañada College is next Saturday. If you are coming, please know that you can park for free in the college's parking lot. (You can ignore the parking fee for this event.)

I spent today preparing (no sewing for me this weekend), and I hope to see you there!


Style 16

I'd heard about the Style 16 show for years, but I finally attended this year. Style 16 is a fundraiser for the Palo Alto Medical Foundation (PAMF) and supports cancer survivors. This was especially poignant for me as a friend recently died of breast cancer.

This event brings together over 50 wearable designers for a delicious sale of their goodies. Style 16 was held at the PAMF center in Mountain View, a beautiful building featuring two impressive Chihuly pieces.

I ran into many friendly faces, including Carol Lee Shanks, who led the Design Outside the Lines retreat with Diane Ericson that I attended last fall. She was selling some of her beautiful garments. I also saw Jane Foster, who was there with a posse of her students, who were attending her sewing retreat. (She posted pics from her retreat on her Facebook page.)

Gayle Ortiz was there and, after the shopping, a group of us enjoyed a long lunch.

left to right: Lisa, Gayle, me, Lynn, Tamara


Annie Liebovitz "Women" Exhibit

Misty Copeland, one of my favorite Liebovitz images from the exhibit

I have to thank JillyBe for bringing this exhibit to my attention. If you are in San Francisco before April 17th, you might want to check this out. This exhibit has been mounted in an old military barack-style building at Chrissy Field. All of the pre-registered tickets are gone, but you can stand in the walk-in line. The exhibit is free and definitely worth a visit.

Outside the exhibit at Chrissy Field, San Francisco

The exhibit will eventually travel to New York, but it will also travel to non-U.S. cities. It has already been to London and Tokyo and will be visiting Hong Kong, Frankfurt, and Zurich, to name a few. Check out their website for more information.

The walk-in line moved pretty quickly and was filled with (mostly) women of all ages


Walk to Work Day

Last Thursday was National Walk to Work Day.

I decided to participate. I live on the western side of San Francisco and my office is on the eastern side.

Cresting Twin Peaks

Stopping in Union Square for my favorite green smoothie with chia seeds

I made it!

It's six miles from my door to my desk. It took me two hours, which includes waiting for stoplights, taking and posting pictures, and stopping for a smoothie... I won't be doing this every day. ;)


I didn't sew this weekend. I won't be sewing next weekend. Next week I have another quick work trip to Seattle. I have some half finished projects, but I'm not sure how soon I'll have anything to show.

I hope you have a great week!

33 comments:

  1. Update posts aren't usually interesting but yours sure is! That retreat venue is awesome. Good luck with your talk at Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bunny! I think of my blog posts these days as mini newsletters. ;)

      Delete
  2. The sunny retreat location looks wonderful. Wow, Chihuly works of art never cease to amaze me!! Congrats on making the 6 mile hike to work. Exhausting but admirable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sew bare foot too! Always have....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A ha! It's not just me. I might wear socks, but never shoes.

      Delete
  4. Your posts are always so interesting and meaty. You know I love that your are now sewing teal garments. Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! I do think of them as mini newsletters. ;)

      Delete
  5. What a treat to follow along on your adventures. Thanks so much for sharing. I like your new top. You have sewed that pattern before . haven't you? Love the glasses, and I am again reminded to make an appt for an eye exam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! Yes, I've made the Presto several times. It really is a TNT for me. My last post showed a Presto I started to make, but I goofed and didn't have enough fabric. ;)

      Delete
  6. YOUR SHOES!!!!! WITH THAT PRESTO TOP!!!!! Paris People's eyes are going to be dropping right into the Seine!
    I got a new glasses prescription last week, too. I stepped out of bounds and ordered "sports" glasses so I can look like a bug: http://www.e-rudy.com/en/products/detail/SN668196MR
    In Seattle you know who to call if you have time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Thanks, Claire! Those are great sports glasses - I like the red! Probably the most I can manage this trip is a quick run to District Fabrics, but probably not more than 20 minutes or so. If it turns out I'll have time to socialize, I'll let you know!

      Delete
    2. OK! Have a good speedy trip! you can see my new glasses next time!

      Delete
  7. LOVE: your shoes, your hat, your new glasses, your meet up...what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that retreat space looks beautiful, what a fun way to spend a weekend. Although it sounds like a lot of trouble to bring all your sewing stuff. but I see people doing it so it must be worth the trouble :) and whew, that was quite a walk, great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth! Years ago when we did these retreats we also had to bring sewing tables and food. So it feels very easy not to bother with all of that! I use my backup machine for travel. It's a Janome Gem 760. It's the size of a Featherweight, but much lighter and more fully functional.

      Delete
  9. Congrats on walking to work. I enjoyed the IG journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! I did worry a bit about spamming IG, but I needed documentation that I did do that walk. I had entered a contest for longest commute on foot. I lost by 0.6 of a mile!

      Delete
  10. I like the new specs! And add me to the list of bare foot sewists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Love it, Nancy! Sorry I missed you on your recent trip to SF!

      Delete
  11. Always fun to hear what you have been up to. And your top is a nice addition to your teal collection.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that teal top. That color is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw the walk to work post on Instagram and wondered how long it took. Six miles in 2 hours means it would take me 1/2 a day or longer so I'm impressed! Good luck with the talk next week. I'm sure you will be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, not an everyday thing for me to do. And thanks, Carolyn!

      Delete
  14. How can I find out about the sewing retreat in time to sign up for it?
    Love the new glasses.
    I Also got on the ML for the Palo Alto show, too. It looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, it's a group of friends, not an organized thing you can sign up for. But you might want to look into Jane Foster's retreats if you live in the Bay Area. I link to her site in my blog post. They sound good! If you are willing to go further afield, I highly recommend Diane Ericson's Design Outside the Lines retreats. I link to those in my blog post, too.

      Delete
  15. You look stunning in that teal color and what a treat it would be to hang out with those talented ladies! Thankfully my walk to work involves opening the door from the kitchen into the studio to greet brides. Are your glasses Transitions? My last pair were and they are great in the summer. You always look so chic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are transition glasses, Mrs Mole. That's essential for me! I also have a pair of monitor glasses coming and I plan to order another pair of regular glasses before year's end. I like that going to an eye doctor ends up with accessory shopping. ;)

      Delete
  16. Congrats on walking to work! When I was a kid, I lived in Chinatown and I attended Lowell High. One of my goals was to walk home from school at least once, but I never achieved that goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised, Betty, I looked it up and that's a 7 mile walk! And walking home over Twin Peaks is no joke. ;)

      Delete