Sunday, March 10, 2013

Sewaholic Renfrew Top


About a month ago Jillian turned me on to the Renfrew top. I saw her two Renfew tops in person and was impressed by the collar in particular. It's a cowl neck top that isn't too low cut or too revealing. I bought the pattern specifically for this cowl neckline.

To test the fit of the pattern, I used a stretchy, lightweight knit that I bought a year ago from Fashion Fabric Club but didn't really like it when it came. Because the knit is highly stretchy, I traced off the size that had 4" negative ease. That is typically how I like a stretchy knit top to fit. This meant I traced off a size 12, which seemed small, but the measurements were right.

I didn't care for the bands at the bottom of the top and the sleeve hems, so I left those off. I also did a 1.5" vertical-only FBA.

This top is a very quick sew. I am pretty happy with it, though maybe 4" negative ease is too much for me now, because the final top is a bit snug, especially in back. I think it would be ok if I wore it with shapewear, such as Spanx, but I don't own any shapewear. I have already traced out a larger size. I want to make the next one in a more stable knit, so I am going up by two sizes to a 16. (This pattern only goes to a size 16.)

Yep, too snug. Good thing I tested the pattern in a fabric I don't really care about. :)

15 comments:

  1. Well the color does look good on you! Can't wait to see the next one which will probably be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The color is gorgeous on you!

    Would you mind talking about (or link if you've already done this) just a vertical FBA? I've never heard of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What Mary said! I'm not sure I understand what a vertical-only FBA is, but I'd really like to.

      Delete
  3. It's great on you, maybe you feel that it's a bit tight, but it's flattering as is the color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, the colour does suit you and the closer fit means it would be a great layering piece, perhaps for next winter? The cowl neckline is just right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your version of the Renfrew, without the bands at the bottom and sleeve cuffs. Definitely keep this around for layering purposes!
    Thanks for mentioning the sizes go only to 16. Another independent pattern company that won't be enticing me. Too bad. I've read so much positive feedback on the Minoru jacket, I would have considered that. But size 16 is simply way too small for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG!!!! The top is cute, but look how skinny you are. You look fabulous. Well, you always look fabulous. Just incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving this closer fitting silhouette on you shams. Looking good! You should wear this on St. Paddy's Day! I do like the color on you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a Tshirt gal much of the time, so I love this pattern. The cowl neck lets you get away with wearing a Tshirt without feeling like you're dressing down. I'm glad you were able to make such a cute test top, and I hope you love your next one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the closer fit on you. It shows how shapely you really are and I see absolutely nothing to hide in something two sizes bigger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a sweet thing to say, Sewdarnlucky. But I am standing pretty darned straight in these pics. This fabric really highlights the lumps and bumps of a body! I do like the idea, made by a couple others, of using this top as a layering piece.

      Delete
  10. Shams, you are melting away! The gym work is doing you good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You may not care for the fabric - but I love the colour of it! Yep, the Renfrew is a great little pattern. I bought it for the cowl also but have yet to make that version up despite having bought 3 types of fabric for it. When it stops being so warm, I'll get around to it. The cowl looks lovely on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty, pretty color with your red hair and the next one will be even better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree, the colour is superb on you - as is the shape. Isn't it funny how we like to hide our bodies away. The cowl really dresses the t-shirt up - a jacket and you are dressed. That way, the lumps and bumps get hidden (and we all have those).

    ReplyDelete