Sunday, April 6, 2014

Skirt Obsessed - McCalls 6396


My obsession with the skirt continues!

I've had this jumper pattern, McCalls 6396, for awhile. (It is now OOP.) I kinda liked it, but kinda didn't. The tweed jumper with the deep v-neck... it reminded me of a school girl's uniform.

But I really liked the layered, asymmetric skirt.

I spent some time mulling over how to change the jumper to make it more "me". I had several ideas but none gelled. Finally, I decided to chop the pattern at the waist and to make it as a skirt.

'Cause I love skirts!

I made view A, which features two front pieces that overlap. After I chopped it in half, the jumper with a princess seam bodice, became a skirt with a princess seam yoke.

The fabric is a fabulous double-sided stretch woven from Italy with an abstract print. I purchased it locally in two color ways. This is the swampy green color way, but I also have some in a grey/black combo. It washed/dried beautifully and resists wrinkles. A really nice fabric.

I made a size 10 skirt, but increased the waist. This involved modifying all 6 yoke pattern pieces, as well as all three skirt pattern pieces. This alteration is not for the faint of heart, but if your waist/hip ratio is closer to the pattern's idea of a body shape, it shouldn't be hard.

Because my waist and hips are close to the same measurement, I converted it to an elastic waist and omitted the zipper.

I love this skirt and will definitely make it again!

I am also linking up with Patti's Visible Monday. Thanks, Patti!

Bison Followup

Thanks for all of your feedback on the bison hat! It was a lot of fun to plan and execute.

For most of April Fool's Day, the security guard and the two receptionists enjoyed the reaction it received. I learned that the security guard was counting the number of people who were spinning the propeller - in fact, they started telling people it would bring luck.

Then I learned that, at the end of the day, the bison was moved.

Yes, moved!

It was moved to another building at the outskirts of the campus. I went to visit the bison in his new digs on Friday. I hear they plan to leave the Noogler hat on his head.

This is fine with me!

Bernie in his new digs

Mem took a photo of me with Bernie in his new, well lit, lobby.

I also learned that they call him Nickel

But I prefer Bernie.

In totally unrelated news, DD2, who has been traveling the world on a Gap Year since last September, returns home tonight! Woot!

49 comments:

  1. Love the fabric, the skirt and it looks good on you. The shoes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. That was my first pair of Trippens! They are in the color called "smog" but it's usually called Anthracite.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love this skirt. I love it as a skirt so much better than a dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks better then the pattern envelope! Really nice fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much more wearable than that juvenile jumper! Love the fabric. And the shoes, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking so fit and trim in your new layered skirt. A pair of Trippens were on my shoe calendar and I immediately thought of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice conversion! Looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous skirt! Love that fabric and this whole outfit looks really good. Have wonderful time with your daughter. That is such great news.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to say I am strangely fond of the Star Trek give of the jumper but I like your skirt version, it is much more wearable. This may be a pattern I have to have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your skirt. The fabric is just right. I love the changes you make to patterns. Love the inspiration you provide.
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did it! You defeated the Mccalls jumper of doom! Lovely job, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So perfect on you! You wear volume on your lower half so well. I love asymmetrical hems on skirts, but they don't look one bit good on me. I need to keep the attention up near my face. Enjoy wearing this great design for both of us!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice - love the detail on this skirt. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. One.great.skirt. I can see why you plan to make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks great as a skirt. I agree that the jumper was very school uniform-ish. Your version is a huge improvement :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, knock out skirt! The whole look is terrific. And those Trippens...never saw that color before. They're perfect for this outfit. Kudos!
    And thank you for taking us through the process, it's interesting to see how you work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gayle! I bought those boots in that color because it was steeply discounted, but the black were full price. I don't wear them as much as my (other) black Trippens, but they are just right for some outfits.

      Delete
  16. It's beautiful as a skirt! I like it much better than the dress version, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have this pattern too and checked it on Pattern Review only to find out that it was difficult to follow for the reviewers. I like the skirt very much and want to make it that way for me too. I'm glad you reviewed it and showed the way with a modification.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw those reviews too, Connie. I didn't have any trouble with the instructions, so I'm not sure what was confusing. That is the problem when an experienced sewer reviews pattern instructions - we aren't always that reliable if you are a newbie. In fact, some sewers love patterns with really lengthy instructions but I find them to be too long and too wordy. I dislike overly long instructions.

      If you read through the instructions for this pattern and have any problems, please let me know. Maybe I can shed some light, post pics, etc.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much. I think I will muslin it out of some $1.00 a yard stuff first.

      Delete
  18. Crazy about your skirt. Fabric, everything!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it as a skirt and it looks really nice on you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mad Crazy Love for what you did with this pattern. The skirt rocks. Where did you get the fabric?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lorrwill! I purchased it locally at Fabrix. It's a beautiful fabric and was $3 a yard. (I just love me a good deal. ;) )

      Delete
    2. Cool. I know where that is. Thanks!

      Delete
    3. Good luck, Lorrwill, though I bought it a long time ago. I haven't seen it more recently.

      Delete
  21. so many patterns should thank you because you really make us look back and think "how did she seen some magic in this pattern?"... another fab make

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the skirt! Great fabric choice!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great skirt. Far better as a skirt than as a jumper. I always think of jumpers like tie back dresses, as rather juvenile. This is much better and the fabric is great.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love it more as a skirt than as a jumper. Great idea and it is so you ;) Really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love this look on you! It's so good to see your legs. The proportions of your top, the skirt, and your legs are perfect. And the fabric and styling are to die for. Good job of remaking this pattern so it works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fabulous skirt, and I think it is far better as a skirt than a jumper, which does have that schoolgirlish look.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think I lost my first comment. Beautiful skirt and turning the jumper into a skirt was a fabulous idea. The fabric really shines in this design.

    ReplyDelete
  28. That's a great way to make the pattern work for you. Have fun with your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, your skirt is just gorgeous shams! I love the layered style and it looks super cute styled like that. In fact I love your whole outfit :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Rockin' the skirts Shams. I just might have to take a page out of your book and hack up some of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Good looking skirt shams! I like this "minimilist" look.

    ReplyDelete
  32. That skirt is just perfect on you! Great job with seeing a skirt out of a jumper.
    Deborah @Sew Much To Give

    ReplyDelete
  33. You look fabulous! What a fun skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Shams, I love that skirt on you! Your creativity is amazing. Thank you for sharing and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love that skirt! The dress version kind of looks like a costume out of Star Trek, so your decision to turn it into a skirt was great. How nice that your daughter is coming home!

    ReplyDelete
  36. You look darling in that outfit! The bison looks pretty smug...he says he gets way more admiring stares now that he has a super hat! Imagine that!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Shams - I also had to get that pattern when it came out - loved it, but never made it - now I'm super inspired - I'm going to make it as a skirt too! That fabric is pretty cool, too.
    And I'm loving the story about the Noogler hat for Bernie Nickel - you are truly a woman of amazing talent. Idea for the hat, cut the letters out of felt in the appropriate colors and glue them on!

    ReplyDelete
  38. It took a lot of time and imagination to convert that school girl uniform jumper into something a real woman could do, but you pulled it off magnificently. I love the way it fits - and it actually looks like it was intended to be skirt from the very beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  39. haha I remember when the noogler hat was put on the buffalo! I used to work in that Google building - and the team associated with the buffalo...as well as the buffalo...have moved locations :) One of my sewing friends pointed me to your blog (I'm a sewer, too!).

    ReplyDelete