Sunday, April 20, 2014

Two Black-and-White Striped Skirts


Last December, I made a striped skirt, just before starting my new job. I've been waiting for some spring weather to break it out, which has finally arrived. (Sorry, no pics on me today. I ran out of time and energy.)

The fabric is a rayon lycra purchased locally and the pattern is out of print: Burda 8687.

One evening after work last week, I cut out a maxi skirt using a striped rayon-lycra fabric from Marcy Tilton. This was quicker to sew than it was to cut it out - you cut each pattern piece as a single piece. The pattern is quite long: I shortened it by 2" at the waist and another 5 at the hem. I am 5'5", so that's a lot of length to remove.

This uses a newly released spring pattern, McCalls 6966.

I am not used to wearing a maxi length, so this will be an interesting experiment. If I get some outfit selfies, I'll post later.

Though the skirts are similar (more similar than I remembered), I like the Burda better. The lower panel on the Burda has additional flare - a nice detail.

Note to self: I own enough black-and-white striped skirts. ;)

Eye Candy - Kaliyana

And because this is a short post, how about some eye candy!

Have you heard of Kaliyana clothing? I'd seen some of their clothing in boutiques and online, but hadn't checked out their website. A blog reader (thanks Mary Jane!) asked if I was familiar with this Canadian clothing line, which prompted me to look them up.

Enjoy this beautiful line of Lagenlook clothing here.

16 comments:

  1. Oh I love the stripes! There is no such thing as enough black-and-white stripes. Great skirts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my I uber-love the Burda skirt! UBER!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both these pieces are gorgeous. I've never seen a pattern with the flare like the Burda one before and I love it. I think it would work really well with my 'top heavy' figure, too. I wonder if you have the last copy? I'm off to research!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great skirts!

    Those prices at Kaliyana! Wow... thankfully we can sew our own. There are some extremely cute things though. I especially liked the suit. Thanks for sharing the link.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for showing both skirts on the same post, it's so interesting to see the similarities and the differences. I think both will look great on you.
    Yes, love Kaliyana...going so splurge one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. those skirts are fabulous! But I am wondering how one knows when one has enough B&W skirts. . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love both skirts and like Gayle, enjoyed comparing such similar skirts. Thanks for the tip on length...7 plus inches off for me...probably 10!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heh - you remove 7 inches,and I add them! Both are great looking skirts that I know will flatter your figure. Thanks for the Kaliyana link. Not my style, but lots of fun to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love maxi skirts and I sure do like the McCalls pattern. Thanks for the link!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love both of these. I'm sure you'll get a lot of wear out of them:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can I back way up and ask a question about your moto jacket? Did you shorten the striped zippers for the sleeves and pockets? I have the Kwik Sew pattern and the striped zippers I have only come in 9 inch. Your sleeve zippers look like the 6 inch the pattern suggests. But the pockets look longer. I am reluctant to cut off any of that beautiful zipper tape- but worry that 9 inches is too long for pockets. What did you do? Thanks for th ehelp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia! Yes, I did shorten the zippers for the sleeves and pockets. It's pretty easy to do - I'm sure there are many tutorials on how to do this. (I am on vacation at the moment, so it's a bit difficult for me to give more specific info, but you shorten it from the closed end.)

      Delete
    2. I know how to shorten zippers. I just wondered if you had found shorter ones because I haven't been able to locate any. I didn't want to search endlessly for shorter striped zippers that don't exist! BTW, I will be making my moto from floral fabric. I saw one online in floral and loved the contrast of flowers and hard zippers with moto styling. Thanks for your help. Glad you had fun in NM.

      Delete
  12. I like both skirts! I keep thinking I want to get on the maxi skirt bandwagon. I am 5'3" and I tried one on at a local retail store and I though I looked even shorter. I started to buy the McCall's pattern and if I do thanks for the heads up on how long it was!

    ReplyDelete