Sunday, August 25, 2013

Fourth Blogiversary!


If you have been reading my blog for awhile, you will know that I don't do end-of-year summary posts. Usually, when the end of the year rolls around, I want to hide in the studio and sew, rather than look back and gather statistics. So I do a bit of taking stock on my blogiversary and today, August 25th, is my 4th! (If you are interested, you can see my previous blogiversary posts.)

Table of Contents

Statistics

End of Year Number of Posts Number of Followers Number of Subscribers
1 125 130 Was Google Reader in use?
2 107 341 482 (GR)
3 107 505 739 (GR)
4 92 617 996 when GR was retired on 7/1. 611 in Bloglovin.

It's interesting that my number of posts was a bit down this year!

Top 10 Posts

I cannot access the list of the top 5 or 10 posts of the last year, so here are the top 10 posts of all time, four of which are from this year.

Year in Summary

The most pivotal event for me this year, other than my eldest going off to college, was attending Design Outside the Lines in Taos in late September. It was a wonderfully creative retreat and inspired me to return to healthy living. I remember the retreat, the people, and the location, very fondly.

I am grateful to both Marcy Tilton and Diane Ericson for a special and immersive creative experience and also that I was able to attend Marcy's very last Taos retreat. I am equally glad that Diane is carrying on the tradition and, next month, is holding DOL in Taos with Nancy Shriber. No one can replace Marcy, but Nancy will be an excellent addition to Diane's team!

I attended Pattern Review Weekend in San Francisco in late April and met up with some sewists I had not seen in awhile, as well as meeting new folks in the flesh. I wish I had more time to interact with people - the day sped by and was jam packed with activities. I particularly enjoyed running to Dharma Trading with Claudine, followed by a chatty dinner.

I very much enjoyed giving a talk to the Designer Details students at Canada college.

Stylistically Speaking

The big change this year was a 40lb weight loss between October and June/July. My bust shrank from an Uber Bust (G) to merely a busty bust (DD). This physical change has had a large impact on my style and I am still figuring it out. For example, I have noticed that I am making fewer knitted tops and am more drawn to woven fabrics. This realization surprised me.

I find myself looking more to mainstream trends for inspiration (hello Pinterest!!!), but I don't want to lose my funky edge, so I continue with my attempts to customize my garments to reflect my love of interesting details. I want my clothing to skim the body and am no longer interested in wearing very loosely fitted or boxy pieces that hide my hard work.

I even wore a couple dresses this year, most particularly Marcy's Shingle dress, which is a fabulous pattern.

I am still puzzling it out.

What Have I Sewn?

In the previous year I had extended bouts of flagging mojo, which is perhaps why my number of blog posts is less this year, overall. In the last few months, that has changed. I have been sewing with zeal and have so many projects planned that I sometimes have trouble deciding what to make next - it's a bounty of riches and a lot of fun.

When I look back over the year, almost everything I sew has been from a Vogue pattern, with a few Style Arc, Kwik Sew, and other independents thrown in, such as Sewing Workshop, Sewaholic, and Grainline Studios.

It was difficult to choose, but here are my top 5 favorite garments I have made this year in terms of what I am loving to wear and wearing a lot (click the pic to take you to the corresponding blog post):

Marcy's Shingle Wiggle Dress Geisha Faces Duster Geisha Faces Duster Black Fitted Sandra Betzina coat Style Arc Barb pants Eggplant Pleather Moto Jacket

But, to be honest, I shouldn't restrict myself to only 5! (And some of my projects are so recently completed that they haven't had their chance yet, such as my pleated pewter raincoat and my latest Marcy pants.)

The Coming Year

I am not sure what I have planned for the coming year. I am not very good at planning. As soon as I announce that I'm going to do something, I usually end up doing something else. Suffice it to say that I have a long list of projects I'd like to work on, including more coats and jackets. This year both of my daughters will be away, so it's good that I have lots to distract me.

I will say that, now that my weight has stabilized, I want to sew more Style Arc patterns this year!

Celebratory Giveaway

I am very grateful for YOU, my blog readers, and my blogging sisters (many of whom are listed in the sidebar blog roll gadget)! Blogging has been a transformative activity for me and has improved my life in immeasurable ways. To celebrate my blogiversary, I will be hosting a giveaway, but not today. I have purchased a few items for a giveaway, but I'm still mulling it over. Stay tuned!

And, because I love you guys, how about this for some eye candy!

Visible Monday Addendum

It's another Visible Monday!

This has been a mostly-sewing weekend for me, but sometimes I need to get out among people. I work at home, I sew at home... sometimes it's nice to have some human contact! So, today I decided to take a walk to the nearby shopping area, to buy some fresh berries for my kale smoothie and to take in the sights. (I also stopped at a very nice thrift store, but didn't find anything that called my name.)

I am wearing one of my skirts formerly known as the Tablecloth Skirt. Rhonda Buss generously gifted me with this hand dyed African fabric.

I am also wearing a Uniqlo t-shirt. (I wear these all the time!) Over that is a jacket that I bought at a designer discount sale. I made the ball necklace and the lacy, rose gold cuff is purchased (but doesn't show up that well in the pics).

Finally, I am wearing the Trippen boots I bought in Santa Fe last fall. I have been wearing these often, as they are so comfy and I have no trouble walking miles in them, though today it was only one mile. I want to wear these so much that they cost one cent per wearing. ;)

67 comments:

  1. Congratulations! 4 years is a long time...I have enjoyed your blog immensely since I first found it, sometime early in the first year, and of course I am SO glad we've become good friends, both online and IRL. You have fabulous taste and a quirky sense of style. It is so exciting to see you develop a newer style for your amazing return to health and slimness...I am very happy your sewing mojo has returned in full force and I can't WAIT to see what comes next from your talented mind and hands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margy. I treasure our friendship!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations - 4 years, gosh .... and every post as informative, fun, and readable as the last! :-) I too am delighted to have met you and become friends - there is nothing better than a friend you really enyoy being with, and is also motivating and inspiring - you fill all bills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jillian. It has been delightful getting to you know, as well!

      Delete
  3. I agree with everything Margy said above, and count myself lucky to be able to share our enthusiasm for sewing in person as well as on line. I know you will keep inspiring me with fabulous coats in unexpected fabrics. Here's to another great year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Beth, my sister in coats and jackets!

      Delete
  4. You are a treasure. i cannot imagine what i've done to deserve finding a blog as helpful and inspirational as yours, but whatever it was, i better keep on doing it!!!!

    Here's to Sew Mojo!! steph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, you really are a breath of fresh air. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  5. I'm filled with admiration and gratitude that you are willing to give your time and energy to us with your blog. I imagine that it can be difficult to keep it up, so thank you for your hard work and inspiration.

    Looking forward -Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Wendy. It has been delightful getting to know you, too!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! Wow, 4 years already...
    I want to thank you for providing so much inspiration all over the sewing world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You amaze me, Merche, with all you do. Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Checking your blog is one of the highlights of every day! You are always an inspiration.

    You said your time at "Design Outside the Line" inspired you to move toward healthier living. Did I miss a previous talk about that? I remember reading about your experience there, but not the "healthy living" aspect.

    Thank you for writing and publishing this blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol! I explain the connection in my post on weight loss. There is a link above.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations! Thank you for all your informative posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always look forward to seeing your posts. Always inspiring. Thanks for the past 4 years. Looking forward to the next. Love coats and jackets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Vicki! You are one of my faithful commenters, and I appreciate it!

      Delete
  10. Love this black jacket and happy blog anniversary!! I hope you can stop by my blog and enter to win a pair of Coldwater Creek jeans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just visited your blog, Pam! Thanks for visiting mine!

      Delete
  11. I adore the "tablecloth skirt!" Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patti! And thanks for hosting Visible Monday!

      Delete
  12. Happy Blogiversary shams, and what a year it has been. Your Health Post was so moving and compelling that I started a daily green drink habit as a direct result. Since then, I have fewer headaches and other MALS (that would be a middle aged lady symptom). Eating such healthy raw food has improved my energy and ability to make better choices, too, and I find myself doing more yoga, more meditation and therefore - again with lessening of the MALS. So THANK YOU for that motivational post.

    Your intense creativity and productivity has been a joy to follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is *great* news, Robin! I have sure enjoyed getting to know you and am glad you are thriving!

      Delete
  13. Although I've only been reading your blog for under 2 years it rates as my most favorite sewing blog. I'm thankful that you take the time to share your garments and techniques. They are amazing! I've been sewing for 55 years and always get inspiration from your creations. Congratulations on your anniversary.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Fourth! You are one of the bright spots of my day and I thank you for that. Your garments and their execution always inspire. Never stop blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! Love your blog,

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey, congratulations from another of your fans! Thanks too for your friendship across the waters. Its been a treat to follow your blog, and your many posts sharing your creativity are enjoyed and appreciated. You are a legend and so glad the mojo has returned :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on your blogiversary! Looking forward to year 5!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, a very Happy Blogg-aversary! You are a font of knowledge, courageous experimentation and generously offered inspiration. Thank you, and many, many more years of vibrant health and blissful
    sewing and sharing.

    And that link? HubbaHubba ....such eye candy!

    ~Joy~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy! LOL, I like the "hubba hubba" coment. :)

      Delete
  19. Congratulations, Shams, on four years of wonderful posts. Thank you for sharing your projects with us!

    Rose in SV

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations. Love your tablecloth skirt. I loved your eye candy but was gobsmacked by the prices. I don't usually support copying designers work, but I feel I can make an exception here!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Yup, it is expensive, but I'm sure it's reflective of the labor and materials. Thanks!

      Delete
  21. I returned to sewing three years ago when I retired. I only found your blog this year, but I agree I look forward to it and usually read each post a few times as I learn a lot and am inspired. Please know you are giving a lot to us sewists all over and I am grateful!
    Barbara (Bellesews)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats, Shams. You know I love your blogI love your favorites and I especially love the M.Tilton dress which is on my list for fall. I intend to use your post to guide me when I make mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Diana! I also love your blog! In fact, I am wondering if it's in my blog roll. If not, I'll add it.

      Delete
  23. Congratulations on 4 yrs. I love reading your blog from afar and am constantly inspired by what you make and how you put it all together. Although our fashion styles are different, I am always finding ways to work many of the ideas from your stitches into garments for myself. I have learned so much from you.
    Happy sewing this year!

    ReplyDelete
  24. And the Koos Van Akker Linen coat remains my favorite post of all time! Too lazy to check the spelling, so just know what I meant, if I spelled it wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mimi!! You know what, I have been thinking of making that coat again. The one I have is too big now and would be almost impossible to alter with those scallops. When the pattern went out of print and BMV had a big OOP sale, I bought it in my new size. I don't have the right fabric, but one of these days...

      Delete
  25. Congratulations on your four years of blogging! I count myself lucky to have been able to enjoy your creative ride over those years. You have been a very inspirational presence for me in my own sewing and I thank you for sharing yourself so freely and genuinely with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marcy!! (And you are another blogging sister!)

      Delete
  26. Happy Blogiversary, and thanks for 4 years of interesting, creative posts. (My winter tablecloth skirt is one of my most loved garments, and all due to you)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Karen! I appreciate your blog and your work as well!

      Delete
  27. Happy year four! Looking forward to following along through year five and beyond!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! And many congrats on your exciting new venture!! :)

      Delete
  28. I hope you are here for many, many, more years Sharon! I love seeing what you have been making, and love your sometimes 'quirky' style. Sorry for stealing some of your ideas/using you for inspiration. And thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy Anniversary, so enjoy all of your posts. Just wanted to tell you I too am a member of the butt-less wonder club. I had given up sewing pants because nothing fit in the back. Until ---- I tried your pants crotch tweak's. They seemed to have worked, the last pair of pants did not sag in the butt! So now I am trying jeans. Thank you so much for sharing all of your knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Beth! I am *thrilled* that I have been able to help you find a better fit for your pants!!

      Delete
  30. You rock this look like nobody's business. Gorgeous choices, every inch! You look very smart and completely original.
    Congrats on your year. Looks like you have put it to very good use!

    ReplyDelete
  31. congratulations on your 4th blogiversary. I have found your blog inspirational even though I seem to have fallen out of sewing for a while. You are one of the people who is really motivates me to get started again though. And I'm one of your google reader followers who is still following you, but not on bloglovin. I opted for feedly when the switch came and I believe you have another 360+ followers over there. Perhaps I opted for the road less-traveled.

    ReplyDelete
  32. congratulations on your 4th blogiversary. I have found your blog inspirational even though I seem to have fallen out of sewing for a while. You are one of the people who is really motivates me to get started again though. And I'm one of your google reader followers who is still following you, but not on bloglovin. I opted for feedly when the switch came and I believe you have another 360+ followers over there. Perhaps I opted for the road less-traveled.

    ReplyDelete
  33. As always, I adore what you have to say - Shams you're one of the most interesting sewistas I've ever met. I read your blog religiously as well. congrats on your "blogbirthday" and I hope there's going to be so many more!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh I know I'm so late, but totally sincere in my best wishes and congrats on your fourth blogiversary! You inspire me: style, sewing, fashion, and health!!!! <- 4 for 4 Thank you so much, and I wish you a wonderful next year! XOXO

    ReplyDelete