Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Vogue 1018 - Sandra Betzina skirt #5

I liked this skirt so much, I made it four times in late 2009. For example, here and here. I made this particular version in January 2010, using fabric left over from this Au Bonheurs skirt, but I didn't get around to blogging it. For this version, I cut the unusual striped fabric on the bias and omitted the drape. I made sure all the tucks were on the "gray" wide stripe. I also increased the angle of the hem.

I'm finally blogging it today because I'm wearing it for Self Stitched September.

I also knitted the scarf, though it was several years ago. I used a skein of Nepalese silk sari "leftover" yarn, cast about 16 stitches onto largish needles, and knitted in stockinette until the skein was gone. (The scarf curls in on itself.) I then sewed little felted balls to the ends – sort of a funky fringe. I got the idea from Renee, a very creative friend of mine. :)

By the way, I chose that yarn link at random, I bought mine from a local knitting shop. I got a bag of felted, oblong balls from either the Hearthsong or Magic Cabin online store several years ago, I can't remember which.

The skirt pattern is one of my favorites and is now out of print, but shouldn't be too hard to get a hold of.

11 comments:

  1. I like all the views you've made of this skirt. Must dig out the pattern and try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That skirt looks great, I love the colour. And that scarf is very pretty too, so colourful and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so much enjoy seeing the clothes you make. You have a great eye for interesting fabric and patterns and pairing them to make stylish clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you have made Sandra's skirts come alive. I think there might be an Ebay rush in the future for this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to read your reviews and I love to see your style. That scarf is wonderful! Though I don't wear skirts anymore, it is fun to see your take on them.

    Carol in Denver

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool skirt! And it is so very YOU! Great scarf, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look FABULOUS darling! Especially love the little felt balls - ggg!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are those "balls" dyed silk cocoons?

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, anonymous, they are felted balls. They are made from wool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is not where I bought mine, but I found you can get them on Etsy from various vendors:
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/56933203/6-sangria-felted-wool-pebbles-beads?ref=sr_gallery_17&ga_search_query=felted+beads&ga_search_type=all&ga_page=7&order=&includes[0]=tags&includes[1]=title

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am falling more in love with that skirt with each version that you make, Shams. One of these days I'll follow in your illustrious footsteps and make one of my own. You did a great job, as always.

    ReplyDelete